Wednesday, November 02, 2005

O Pioneers!

So I had a ten minute window this morning to pop into the blog and figure out how to add three more columns of links when I saw that someone had posted a comment...what’s that? “Drew?” I ran the cursor over the name to see if the person has a blog or page and it says
http://www.script-o-rama.com/

As in, Drew’s Script-o-Rama. I’m looking over my shoulders for the ghost of Allen Funt because it’s too close to La Dia De Los Muertos and Halloween for comfort. Nope, no Funt or Funt Jr. No Ashton Kutcher. Holy (expletive) (expletive)!

I danced the joyous dance of a soccer player who has just scored a goal! I could hear Andres Cantor as I pulled my shirt over my head, spread my arms and flew like an airplane! Yeah! Yeah! I! I...hit the damn refrigerator because the apartment is only 780 sq ft. Ow, there went this morning's ten minute window.

A serious pioneer actually visited my tiny corner of the web, ladies and gentlemen. We're talking a combination of Columbus, Balboa, Magellan, and the first proto-Mongolian to follow the food across the Bering Sea. Neil (expletive) Armstrong, people!

You see, you kids have it easy today and you don’t understand what is was like in dark ages of the Internet. Today, you have more content that one person could possibly read in one sitting,
much less one month. But in the days of old when "google" was nothing more than a math term, you would type in “screenwriting” in your search engine like Alta Vista or the one with the spider whose name escapes me now and you would get just three pages of sites and links.

I’m talking the era of 33 Kbps people. I’m talking about it took me thirty-two minutes to download a two-minute trailer of “Copland” because my ISP would slow to 19.6 Kbps. You
wussies with your high speed and DSL, I scoff at you!

There was Max Adams
http://seemaxrun.com/home.htm , Rossio and Elliot’s Wordplayer http://www.wordplayer.com/ , http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/ (it was a different incarnation back them), Kevin Smith's http://www.viewaskew.com/ , a couple of sites on formatting, sporadic updates by the WGA and that’s basically it. I’m exaggerating, but not by all that much. I’m not going to include the neophytes who put their so-called scripts on the web when it was really just fanfic that was barely properly formatted.

Last, but not least was Drew. I would run out of content to read and would actually have to sit down and write until I discovered Script-o-rama. We're talking “Alien Vs. Predator” when it seemed like a good idea at the time and the studios couldn't get it off the ground to save their lives. Kevin Smith’s take on “Superman,” “Scarface,” and more scripts, more classics than any other free script site.

I was a kid in a screenwriting candy store. "Drew, get some Oompa Loompas to roll me the hell out of here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home