Monday, August 27, 2007

Back To School

Today was Procrastinator Junior's first day at Middle School. The student body is four times bigger and it takes five times as long to both drop him off and pick him up.

The crossing guard looks like David Johansen doing Buster Poindexter and he talks to himself-slash-gives running commentary to the stupidity of drivers and the chaos that surrounds him. I don't think he's going to last another day, but he probably has been doing this for years and this is how he copes with it.

There's usually a cop there, or the cop made it a point to be there when we toured the school last year. I didn't see him today, doesn't mean he wasn't in the back of the campus, though. It's not that kind of school so far, no metal detectors and if there are gangs, there not the gangs that we had when I went to junior high. Then again, the gangs back then packed knives and were more likely to smoke you out, than smoke you in those days.

The school is running all kinds of games with aftercare, so I might have to make do with five hours of sleep a day...does that make me Beth Coffey?

6 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

How barbaric to have to start any kind of schooling before Labour Day! And you could do much worse than Ms. Coffey, she's an icon, a paragon, a Beth!

Tue Aug 28, 05:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

It's that lack of sleep that allows me to charm your comment boxes in the middle of the night.

How did WP Jr. enjoy his first day? And how did WP Sr. feel about watching his scion take another step in growing up?

My cats are homeschooled, so I don't have to let them go yet.

Tue Aug 28, 06:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

You're putting the "u" where it doesn't belong, again. I could never be in the same league as Beth. Her grammar, musical and coping skills are superb.

I've pitched a show to VH-1, called "Flavor of Beth." Of course this is contingent upon her changing her name to "Bethy-Beth" and her going Springer/Pouvich on the hunks, every other episode.

Beth,

"It's that lack of sleep that allows me to charm your comment boxes in the middle of the night."

True dat.

He enjoyed it immensely, though I didn't. They wouldn't let us go up to the class room and he was more than happy to cut the strings.

Tue Aug 28, 07:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

heh heh... does the crossing guard record himself and blog about it later maybe...?

Tue Aug 28, 01:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

U make me feel like a natural Canadian WP. Flavour of Beth, it's not just for breakfast anymore. Yo yo yo.

Tue Aug 28, 02:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

It would help him...a bunch. He seems on the verge of imploding, seriously.

"U make me feel like a natural Canadian WP."

Ah, you're making me blush, though I don't remember Aretha quite singing it like that.

"Flavour of Beth, it's not just for breakfast anymore. Yo yo yo."

Absolutely, she'll give them a taste of Southern-style smackdown.

Tue Aug 28, 05:55:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home