Wednesday, January 09, 2008

F-R-I-E-D

Is it better to burn out, than fade away? I swear, I am on verge of finding out. Work last night wore me down to almost a nub, then I had to crank out some pages at lunchtime, because this is the year that something is going to happen. Just what is going to happen? Hopefully something other than indigestion.


I digress (or is it "depress?"), for I want to bring up the two songs are inspiring me now, even though I don't own either one. On a loop in my head right now, "Knights of Cydonia" and "Super Massive Black Hole." Both by the sometimes excellent band, Muse.

"Knights of Cydonia?" A musical mix of spaghetti western and the guitar parts of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." A song that defies you not to rock out or get whiplash and buy the neckbrace already, because you will lose. Of course lyrics such as-

Come ride with me
Through the veins of history
I'll show you how God
Falls asleep on the job

And how can we win
When fools can be kings
Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

No one's gonna take me alive
The time has come to make things right
You and I must fight for our rights
You and I must fight to survive

7 Comments:

Blogger EditorJDC said...

I like burning out - it smells like toast.

JDC

Wed Jan 09, 07:10:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Johnny Dollars,

Then get out butter and cinnamon, and call me "Powdered Toast Man."

Wed Jan 09, 08:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Joe said...

Hang in there man.

And keep ROCKING.

Thu Jan 10, 05:27:00 AM PST  
Blogger haahnster said...

Is it better to burn out, than fade away?

WP dares to question the lyrical wisdom of Neil Young...say it ain't so.

Of course it's better to burn out. I offer as further evidence: "It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps."

Hang in there.

Thu Jan 10, 01:11:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bubs,

I need something, but what? I dunno, maybe more cowbell?

Haahnster,

Happy New Year, man! I am counting on Neil to show me the way.

Thu Jan 10, 06:12:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

Knights of Cydonia is included in Guitar Hero 3. Not that I'm obsessed with the game or song or anything. Fading is for denim. Burn big and then out.

Sat Jan 12, 07:34:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

Wow, the downstairs neighbors haven't even bothered with that one (I'm so fuckin' sick of "The Seeker," that I can't describe it).

"Fading is for denim. Burn big and then out."

Excellent saying, Neil McLovin.

Sat Jan 12, 03:13:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home