Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My District Is Bigger Than Yours

My district is bigger than yours, seriously. It starts just from around the corner of my house and it doesn't end until some forty-nine blocks later, at the Great Highway. That's 48th Avenue, then La Playa and then the Highway (where hedgehogs count Elton Johns?).

It spans alphabetically from Lincoln to Ortega, if we don't include the Parkside District and it would go to Sloat Boulevard if we did (which comes after Wawona and no, I don't know why the streets on the west side arbitrarily follow the alphabet. I'm not a city planner nor do I play one on television).

We have all kinds of restaurants, spanning: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, American, and Middle Eastern cuisines. Not to mention that there isn't a bad burger to be had within these boundaries, because if you did serve one up, you'd be drummed out of the neighborhood.

If there is anything this neighborhood is, that it is underrepresented on the web. Well Janice is going to put an end to that. At Sunset Style, the outside world will finally get to see the Sunset District in all its glory.

We're talking houses and buildings. Victorians, Edwardians, Arts & Crafts, Rousseaus, and my favorite, Deco. Not just that, she has an eye for the details that escape even those of us that live here.

Pop on over and take a peek.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I love the Sunset district, it's so beautiful, one of my favorite vinty hoods in SF. I agree with you, it's rarely dished online. I'm glad that's changing, checking out sunset style now.

Fri Jul 04, 11:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

It's never dished on online and almost even less in the movies and literature. It is however, all vintage, including this former Glen Park geezer.

Fri Jul 04, 10:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wise ass--HA.

you're right, the Sunset gets no love online. I really like that dame's blog and what she's captured so far of the Sunset.

I used to go to a burrito joint on Geary in the Sunset and I can't remember the name of it. The food was TO DIE FOR delish.

Sat Jul 05, 07:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Yeah, she's done a great job of distilling the unknown essence of this district.

If you are talking about the burrito place near Mel's Diner over by Stanyan, I don't know the name of the place, but I've been meaning to try it, since you can see it from Mel's windows. If it is Gordo's, we have one here on the Ninth Avenue side of the park, between Lincoln and Irving.

Sat Jul 05, 12:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

That hood's a beaut, WP.
Love deco too. Must go to SF

Tue Jul 08, 07:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Gifted,

This is a nice bedroom community. The beauty of that blog, is that she brings you things that would take all day to find, if you didn't live here.

Tue Jul 08, 07:31:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home