Monday, June 23, 2008

R.I.P. George Carlin

I'm sure that you are one of the few famous people who would rather be remembered as older and wiser man, as opposed to your wet behind the ears days with Jack Burns...



No, I don't remember those days as I was a toddler then, but everyone told me that you had not quite hit your stride at that point. I came in around your second or third HBO Special and let me say, that you made high school that much easier; by letting people like me who were different, just how stupid some people were that got high on their own self-righteousness.

You were never at a loss for words, though I am now. I will say that you changed the face of comedy and observational comedy so much for the better. You gave a voice to kvetching, to reason and...to getting old.
You were the Diogenes of comedy and I wonder if you had ever realized that you were one of the only honest comedians. Well, rest in peace, my friend.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Some Guy said...

Nicely put. He was the best.

Mon Jun 23, 07:11:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite memory of GC was listening to him narrate Thomas the Tank Engine on TV (when my then-3-year-old son would watch it). It was my big chance to hear GC say words like "horrid." (Not part of his usual vocab.)

xoxox The Ol' Ball & Chain

Mon Jun 23, 11:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Joe said...

Nice post. Thank you for posting an earlier, buttoned-down picture of George Carlin. It's cool to think of the transformation he went through between his earlier years and the "7 words" phase.

Mon Jun 23, 07:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Chris,

He sure was.

Honey,

I totally forgot about his stint as "Mr. Conductor" on "Thomas The Tank Engine." That was high comedy and good times.

Bubs,

I knew he was "respectable," but I didn't know he was part of "The Establishment," as this S.F. Chronicle obit described. I think his change-up was for the better. For him and for everyone.

Mon Jun 23, 11:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

What a beautiful post, WP. George Carlin understood and used words so well. He got the nuances, and his humor taught many of us to understand the nuances in language.

Tue Jun 24, 09:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

I was think of his linguistic talents, though I was laughing because I was thinking about certain routines in which he names every slang for word for our anatamoies.

Tue Jun 24, 11:25:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, that's it, an honest comedian. What a great thing to be

Tue Jun 24, 04:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Gifted,

As long as one does it well, it's a wonderful thing.

Tue Jun 24, 06:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

What a beautiful post. I got the chills. We lost one of the most prolific comics we've ever known. He was so brutally honest, which is why we loved him as hard as we did.

Wed Jun 25, 11:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Absolutely.

Wed Jun 25, 07:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home