Monday, August 07, 2006

Not That I Agree With This Sentiment...

Not that I entirely agree with this sentiment, but I'll put it up here, anyway. My blog has been lacking as of late, in writing-related content...

"Anybody who likes writing a book is an idiot. Because it's impossible, it's like having a homework assignment every stinking day until it's done. And by the time you get it in, it's done and you're sitting there reading it, and you realize the 12,000 things you didn't do. I mean, writing isn't fun. It's never been fun. It's momentum, and once you get the momentum going, that's great, but it's a brutal experience in many, many ways. And when you're done, people tell you, 'Well, gee, I'm not interested.' 'Great, I'm glad I sat down and wrote this!'"
Comedian Lewis Black, when The Onion made the mistake of asking if he liked writing

This was taken from the Creative Screenwriting (Magazine's) Weekly Newsletter. For some odd reason, I read "Richard Lewis" instead of "Lewis Black," the first time I saw this. Another sure sign that they're working me too hard at work and seven hours of sleep ain't getting it done.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I'm working on a couple of short stories now, with a looming deadline, and I know how he feels. As much as I want to get these stories out of my head and onto the page, I often feel like it's homework after a long day at work.

Tue Aug 08, 04:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Deadlines are terrible, but a writer hopefully will view writing as homework, or it takes all the fun out of writing. Since I have a blue collar job where my brain is on auto-pilot or in a state of anger mixed, with a healthy dose of angst or depression, writing is actually relaxing to me.

Temper this of course, with the fact that I have yet to ever meet a self-imposed deadline. I imagine my attitude would change if I was under contract and had to meet a real deadline.

Tue Aug 08, 08:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Rand said...

That's the most effin ridiculous thing I've read in recent memory. What an idiot.

If writing is constant pain, then why do it? There are easier ways to make $.

pfffffffft

Wed Aug 09, 07:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Welcome, Rand.

"That's the most effin ridiculous thing I've read in recent memory. What an idiot. If writing is constant pain, then why do it? There are easier ways to make $.
pfffffffft"

That also came across my mind, but remember that this guy makes a living at being a curmudgeon and I'm sure that he realized that he pushed the buttons of hundreds of (if not thousands of) writers.

Wed Aug 09, 09:05:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home