Sunday, August 06, 2006

Guinness Punch, Toad In The Hole, Soup, And God, I Love The Internet

So the Missus and I watched "Chef!" late this morning. The "Rice And Peas" episode in particular, where Gareth had to humble himself and ask Everton to teach him Jamaican cuisine. In that episode, Toad In The Hole and Guinness Punch played a prominent role.

With the Guinness Punch in particular, the actors do a real good job selling it as a Caribbean ambrosia, but an ex-Bay Area-pat named Dexygus says different.

"can something be too sweet and too bitter at the same time? i took just a few sips and tossed it."

If you look at the recipe, that makes sense from a taste standpoint. The beauty of this is that it saves me a world, as well as a week, of suspense. I rarely drink and I don't drink during the work week, because I have to drive Procrastinator Jr. here and there, and after that, I have to work the graveyard shift.

Searching for the recipes as well as background into the aforementioned cusines, was the kind of thing that used to drive me nuts before the Internet. If I had to go to the library for just one trivial fact, it wasn't going to happen. I'd go to a book store and use that as my research resource...if I'd remembered to look it up once I got there.

Yet, there's so much information (and disinformation) right at your fingertips. You don't have to argue with your more obstinate friends over whether someone was in a film, you just hit the IMDB and settle this thing like civilized adults...by taunting your friends for half an hour.

Dexygus also had a link to the Soup Peddler down in Austin, Texas. The menu looks real good from an ingredient POV, but there's one huge slip in my eyes. You can't have a "puttanesca" without pancetta.

Magari!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Now I'm hungry ...

Mon Aug 07, 06:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

What, there's no where to eat in D.C? ; )

Mon Aug 07, 08:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Gian Don,

I still haven't seen "V, For Vendetta," they were out at the video store. I guess the recipe at her blog is Toad in the Hole, I haven't double-checked it against another recipe.

The Guinness float seems like it would taste better than the punch.

Tue Aug 08, 03:51:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toad in the Hole is sausages cooked in a batter (like yorkshire pudding). Guiness Punch is lush - had it last weekend at Notting Hill carnival, I guess its an acquired taste though.

Wed Aug 30, 08:22:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Anon,

"Guiness Punch is lush - had it last weekend at Notting Hill carnival"

Cool, I never got over to Notting Hill...or maybe I did. I don't know, too many pints, "half a pint o 'bitter" and the lot. I was young and stupid during my first short stay in London.

"I guess its an acquired taste though."

You see, when you say this about any food in the British Isles, it gives me pause. It makes me think of beans on toast for breakfast and the like.

Wed Aug 30, 09:07:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home