Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Travelogue, Epilogue

I never knew what the word "epilogue," meant as a child, other than it seemed to be the fifth act in all Quinn Martin Productions shows. Most of you kiddies are too young to remember Quinn Martin shows in their first run or in repeats. Hell, most of you are too young to remember Quinn's offspring, Martha. She was on this channel called "MTV."

They showed music videos once. No, seriously. They showed music videos. What? You don't believe me?


Well, let's leave "Digression Town" and get back to the trip. The safe in our hotel room was too small and I wasn't sure that the thing wasn't layered with magnets. So I wound up schlepping the laptop everywhere we went. Usually when I carry it for more than ten minutes on the way to work, at work, and on the way home, I wind up with a pinched nerve in my neck.

This didn't happen during the entire trip. I believe it was because I use an entirely different set of muscles at work, as opposed those that I used on vacation. When I'm on vacation, my skin always clears up, too. Part of that is because my Mother-in-law makes sure that there is plenty of fruits and vegetables in the house. The rest of that is because there I'm not around the machinery and pollution that is present on the job, as well as the absence of stress.

I have found that I could live in Manhattan for the summer, seriously. The heat doesn't bother me...too much. I know my way around enough to get to the good restaurants in the Village, or around Broadway. Hell yeah, it's expensive, but San Francisco is not that far behind.

Procrastinator Jr. thinks it's just one big playground and he hasn't seen a lot to dissuade him from that opinion. He sees fifty times more homeless and crimes in the City than in the NY City, and that's no exaggeration. A lot of that is predicated on the fact that we will travel almost anywhere in San Francisco, but I don't know my way around the more marginal areas of Manhattan.

As of late, people in Manhattan tend to be friendlier than San Franciscans, when the fuck did that happen and why??? Is it because they have a higher native population than we do? And by "native," I mean people over thirty years of age that were born and raised in that city.

And for the first time in my life, I actually miss Manhattan. I wish I could describe in detail as to why, but it remains as intangible as the outer reaches of space.

On another note, to Angela, and all other fans of dragons and magical creatures:

The American Museum of Natural History will have an exhibition next year on mythical creatures.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I love Manhattan. I love San Francisco. Why am I attracted to the places I can't afford? I'm so disheartened to hear that San Francisco is no longer a friendly city. But I'm so glad you had a great vaca.

Tue Aug 29, 07:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Why am I attracted to the places I can't afford?"

Hey, Beth, that's exactly why nobody can afford them. So many people want to live in these two places, that they will fork over a million for a one bedroom condo.

I think that's also the problem in San Fran, we used to be nice to the natives and shun the tourists. Now it's gone Bizarro World.

"But I'm so glad you had a great vaca."

Thank you, I did have a great vacation. Though the way I feel about the job as of late, I could sit in a flea-bitten motel room in outer Bakersfield, and still be happy to be away from the job.

Tue Aug 29, 08:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger is that so wrong? said...

I ended up at Carmine's last night (of all places) and ended up stuffing my face. Now I have leftovers for days, provided the pasta doesn't get too funky. Hope you enjoyed your trip to NYC.

Wed Aug 30, 07:09:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

ITSW,

"I ended up at Carmine's last night (of all places) and ended up stuffing my face."

Ooooh, now you've got me hungry despite my full stomach.

"Now I have leftovers for days, provided the pasta doesn't get too funky."

The freezer man, the freezer.

"Hope you enjoyed your trip to NYC."

This would've been my favorite trip, if only we got in more swimming and I had time to visit everyone in blogland. Plus, we didn't hit Carve : (

Wed Aug 30, 09:11:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

hmmm, thanx for the headzup... i'm definitely going to have to make a plan to come and see that exhibition!

Fri Sep 01, 12:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

You're welcome. However, be forewarned, they charge a pretty penny and their gift shops are irresistable

Fri Sep 01, 02:50:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home