Saturday, July 15, 2006

Turning Opponents Into Dim Sum And The City's Goin' Soft Again

Friday morning, I conquered 3rd Century China and united her under one Emperor. The end-cinematics were kind of a let down. They were very pedestrian and seemed three years ago, which is almost an eon in video game history.

Now I am playing a different scenario that is truer to life than the last scenario in that there is no overt sorcery or ultra-fantastic weaponry. The number of opponents and the population is at a more realistic level as well.


Liz Hickok has another show coming up at the Kala Art Institute.

http://www.kala.org/exhibitions/upcoming.html Yet, the folks that handle the Kala website only list her and the other three artists as "four artists chosen by international competition." As a matter of fact, they don't name any of the artists that they will exhibit in the future. Yeah, that's how to bring the people in.

We'll be showing somebody next week, but you have to show up to find out just who we're going to exhibit. It's a mystery to everyone except our booking agent.

The opening is this coming Thursday July 20th, 6-8pm and the address is 1060 Heinz Ave, Berkley, CA 94710

http://www.lizhickok.com/upcoming.html

If you've never checked her out, this will give you an idea...
http://www.lizhickok.com/portfolio2.html

I've said it five times on this blog and I will say it again, she shows San Francisco as most of it is, soft like Jello.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

a pedestrian ending? how dulcet, especially after so much effort on your part to liberate china. can't wait to hear about the new game.

thanks for posting a link to liz's work. it's so fabulous and distinctive!

Sat Jul 15, 12:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"a pedestrian ending? how dulcet, especially after so much effort on your part to liberate china. can't wait to hear about the new game."

I just found out that it has a different ending for each leader that you use. So this weird tai chi-cum-Macarena scene that happened the first time I won was unique to that particular general.

"thanks for posting a link to liz's work. it's so fabulous and distinctive!"

You're welcome! I hope to see it for myself in three dimensions, the web doesn't do it justice.

Sat Jul 15, 11:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, you are truly too funny, tai chi-cum-macarena. I don't even know what to say. I'm howling. oops. I think I peed a little...

Sun Jul 16, 01:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

Your friend's work is wonderful. I'm going to be in San Francisco in about a month; if I have time, I'll check out her show.

Sun Jul 16, 03:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie,

It really was a tai-chi Macarena. They started out with a couple of movements, then busted into the Macarena. Other scenes have included the winning generals having an archery contest and all of them missing a target. As well as a comedy scene with a gigantic wild boar sow.

Beth,

Let me know if you coming out here, we'll go get Vietnamese sandwiches.

Tue Jul 18, 08:13:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home