Tuesday, November 21, 2006

R.I.P. Robert Altman

He started bobble-head-cam before "Saving Private Ryan" did, by including takes of the camera panning and swooshing for reasons known only to him. And sometimes, he was a far luckier bastard then he deserved to be in attracting stars to projects that were almost offensive in their mediocrity. Yet, when Robert Altman was on, as with M*A*S*H, The Player, Gun, and Gosford Park, no director in the world could touch him.

Altman was an actor's director, I doubt you could find an actor in the world who felt that he didn't respect them.

So
, when you face St. Peter and the highlight reel of your life dips, goes out of focus and Lily Tomlin, or Susan Sarandon, makes a cameo appearance when you don't even remember them being there, you'll know why.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mister Mxyzptlk said...

Recently re-watched Nashville for first time since it was new. Still brilliant. And whatever happened to Henry Gibson? he was great.

The Prairie Home movie (his last?) was very enjoyable. Glaf he wasn't afraid to make a fluffy one.

Wed Nov 22, 10:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Amazingly, I still haven't seen "Nashville" and virtually ever movie critic and essayist over forty-five years of age has recommended it.

Henry Gibson is still working
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0002099/

"Malcolm in The Middle" is the last thing I saw him in. "Prarie" is sixth on my personal to rent list.

Thu Nov 23, 12:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

I wasn't enamoured with Prairie Home Companion although I appreciated it. I still need to see Nashville start to finish as well but loved Mr. Altman. Gosford Park, Short Cuts, The Player.

Thu Nov 30, 03:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"I wasn't enamoured with Prairie Home Companion although I appreciated it."

The lukewarm reviews that I've seen, suggest the same thing. It's odd how "different" seems to be the new "good." I liked "Aquatic Life" just fine, but it wasn't the life-changing experience that a few people made it out to be.

Thu Nov 30, 05:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

I am on record as not enjoying Waiting For Guffman but loving the subsequent Guest fests and I didn't make it all the way through Aquatic Life so thank you for that.

Fri Dec 01, 04:43:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"I didn't make it all the way through Aquatic Life so thank you for that."

Hey, don't let me influence you and as a matter of fact, I think you should see it so that you can tell me whether the ending left you flat or not.

Sat Dec 02, 01:03:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home