Friday, November 17, 2006

As I Rode Shotgun Through The Land Of The Dead

Ooooh, I love the sound of that one. I'll be using that as a story title, real soon! As we rode from a work site towards the Jack In The Box drive-through that's on the north side of South San Francisco, a few things popped up into my mind...

First, we were going through Colma. There was a bumpersticker that was popular in this little area, a decade ago that said, "it's great to be alive in Colma!" The significance? This is a town where the dead outnumber the living by conservatively, over 30,000 to one. Between 1900 and 1912, San Francisco outlawed cemeteries within the city limits. Thus, most cemetaries were moved to
Colma.

So late at night, if you listen carefully, you can hear "you tell 'em I'm coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... Hell's coming with me!" As well as "Rosebud..." and "I got your Mr. Coffee, right here, pal!" As Wyatt Earp, William Randolph Hearst and Joe DiMaggio are buried there.

You don't really see the cemeteries, this town is more about mini-malls, car dealers, plant nurseries, and shrunken b.... well, let's just say it's perpetually cold here. For some reason the fog hangs over here and another town just west of here, Pacifica, all year around. Even when it's sunny in the foggiest parts of San Francisco.


Second, Jack In The Box (place your own double entendre here) makes the most kick ass pumpkin milkshake. For real, though.

Third? Well, I was going to say something, but I have a bad feeling that it will be misinterpted by a friend and I don't want to travel down that jarring, bumpy road again. If I were a superhero, I would be Antagonism Man. With the power of a dozen men to offend anyone and the ability to say the wrong thing within two sentences of any conversation.

So, let me quote K'ung-fu-tzu (Confucious) instead-
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, so you insert both feet too eh? I do that allllll the time. It's like a gift, in a no it's really not kinda way.

Word verification: ocemugy - it doesn't remind me of anything, I just like it.

Fri Nov 17, 05:39:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

D.D.L,

Yeah, such a blessing, ain't it?

"ocemugy"

Mmm, methinks, "oh-see-emu-guy." You know him, he has that ostrich kind of gait and the bug eyes.

This post is "rdhasvl." That would be "red has veal." The father from "That 70's Show."

Fri Nov 17, 06:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger Cup said...

Hey, Antagonism Man, we don't have Jack in the Boxes here in the deep south. Send me one of them thar milkshakes, okay? I'll send you a Varsity frosted orange in return.

Fri Nov 17, 08:54:00 AM PST  
Blogger BeckEye said...

The township where I grew up is like that...there are a ton of cemeteries in a very small area. It's called Reserve. Like, "reserve your plot now." Ick, that was morbid. I hate death talk!

Fri Nov 17, 12:16:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

I'd send it, but it would dry up by the time it was at SFO and it would go completely bad by the time it was over Nevada. You might want to try the nearest Jack-In-The-Box by Atlanta. It's up in Anderson, South Carolina.

We don't have Varsity or Chik-fil-e, up here. I did see a Sonic on the way back from Yosemite, but we didn't have enough time to stop and try it.

Becka,

Do they say "younz" in Reserve? Wow, a town that advertises itself. Colma is close in that people that aren't from the Bay Area always hear you wrong and they think that you said Coma.

Fri Nov 17, 08:57:00 PM PST  
Blogger barista brat said...

the milkshakes always taste better after some curly fries!

Sat Nov 18, 11:26:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Brat,

Absolutely, the spices just melt with the shake! That's the beauty of fast food, I could go to any Jack in The Box and they won't ruin most of the dishes, especially the curly fries.

Sat Nov 18, 12:29:00 PM PST  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

the shame of that little blessing. is she into necrophelia, too?

Sat Nov 18, 03:32:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home