Friday, April 20, 2007

I Take Blogpourri For $800 Again, Alex

What is "you need a sherpa to navigate through his links?"

Most people just throw their links up or at best, divide them into categories of interest. I try to add a brief description so that you, the reader, get an idea of why I frequent those blogs. Of course, by doing so, my links are a huge mess that are difficult to navigate.

So most of you have probably not noticed that I've added
Amy, Dead Spot, Eric's World of Food, and the immortal Coaster Punchman. With the exception of the first six links, I don't play favorites. For this blog, I still have the old-fashioned template where I manually type everything in. I bounce the scroll wheel up and down, in a one-armed bandit fashion and where I click, is where the link is slotted.

There is no bearing on the order...though cooking for me can influence your slot.

What is Van Halen's "I'm On Fire," Alex?

I love Altoids and when you eat as much garlic as I do, they become a necessity. For some strange reason, the local supermarkets refuse to carry the Peppermint flavor and I haven't been able to make it to Costco. Rather than pay close to two bucks a tin at the corner stores, I bought a tin of the Cinnamon-flavored ones.

Now, I've never tried these before in my life, though my previous experience with the peppermint, spearmint and the chocolate-dipped mints suggested that I had nothing to worry about. I popped four of the cinnamon tablets in my mouth and let's just say that now I know firsthand how Bill Pullman felt in "The Last Seduction," when Linda Fiorentino maced him in the mouth.


What is "most likely to wind up in an insipid commercial, where an equally insipid Dennis Haysbert walks through traffic?"

In the past month, I've witnessed two new lows in driving: A driver that was eating, talking on his cell phone and reading, while driving. And another who was texting while driving.

The former was not doing all three at the same time. No, this miscreant was kind enough to alternate these actions, the six blocks that we were stuck behind him. The reading a book was a new one on me, though I've seen people read the paper while driving, all the time. That must have been one hellva book that he had to risk his life and everyone else's. He Jerry-rigged it to one of those clips that you use to hold pads, so that you can jot things down.

The latter miscreant was driving extra slow and I thought he was talking to his three passengers. When I finally got the opportunity to pass him, I noticed a glow that was coming from his steering wheel. He had his cell out and he was typing away. To his credit, he did at least manage to keep his car going in a straight line.

Unfortunately, because of double-parked cars, errant taxis and oblivious bus drivers, I had to deal with Mr. Text Driving again, some nine blocks later. I would like to thank everyone involved for making certain that I had to deal with this fifteen miles-per-hour text whore and I hope that someday soon, someone else will do the same for you.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

¡Bienvenidos Lacan!

I enjoyed the Goya quote on your site, though the translation of your page was not done very well by whichever program translates the page into English and my Spanish is the absolute worse. The idioms completely lose their nuance.

Fri Apr 20, 10:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Thank you for making me immortal. Once I'm settled in I'll haunt you and grant you wishes & stuff.

Fri Apr 20, 09:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm just happy to be somewhere on the links list. And to not be in front of you driving. What are you going to do with the $800?

Fri Apr 20, 10:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Coaster,

You're welcome and for my first wish? I want to eavesdrop on "Dean" and "Stephanie's" phone sex convo.

Dale,

I'm just happy that you've boosted my readership some three-hundred percent! I'm going to take those $800 and fly to Toronto. Where I will shake my index finger and mutter Korean obscenities at the Bagel Lady.

Fri Apr 20, 10:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eric Riback said...

Hey thanks! I haven't been cooking so much lately due to work hours, so not much new on the food blog. But with the warmer weather, I expect to be using the weber kettle more often so hopefully I'll have something new soon. As soon as it turns nice here in Colorado I'm salivating for the farmer's markets, but I guess they need a chance to actually grow something before they open.

Altoids: I don't care for mint these days, but I'm way into ginger. They make great ginger Altoids, but difficult to find. try REI or Cost Plus.

Sat Apr 21, 11:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

dude- you aint seen nothin till you driven in south african peak hour traffic!

Sun Apr 22, 06:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Eric,

You're welcome and yeah, frost and normal plant growth does have a tendency to hinder things. When I look at James's site and his work in his garden, Colorado looks like Germany this time of the year.

I'll try Ginger Altoids a month from now, I'm still smarting from the Cinnamon ones.

Angela,

I don't think I'd want to chance it, though I've been told by my Filipino coworkers that Manila is the absolute worst. Most drive without any licenses or training whatsoever, content to bribe the police when they're caught.

Sun Apr 22, 12:29:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh. I live near you. Cooking for you could actually happen.

It might not be recognizable as food, but I would cook for you.

Thanks for the link :)

Tue Apr 24, 12:19:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home