Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Science of Endings

So I finally finished "The Science of Sleep" last night. Let me preface this by saying, I love foreign film. Barring substandard juvenile comedies, that always stink regardless of their country of origin, virtually any foreign film has the potential to be at least interesting. They can offer a unique viewpoint that hopefully hasn't been tainted by American clichés.

"The Science of Sleep" was different. Yet, how good is "different," if a foreign film can't completely change the way the audience views a film or offer great insight into a culture? The director and screenwriters of any film should at least have a decent ending, because the audience invested ninety minutes or so of their lives...then what, absolutely no pay off? This movie accomplished none of the three...hell, there was no real ending at all. Somebody letting the air of ballon would've gone over with more aplomb.

Michel Gondry wasted several good visual ideas that would've been better served as music videos, than compiling them into this film.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

I felt just the same way when I saw it Write P. after enjoying initially the conceit of the thing and the visuals.

Another one that did the same (not much) for me was Cache which I really wanted to like. No pay off = a bored Dale.

Mon Apr 16, 06:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

Glad I read both of your thoughts. I was going to rent it this week ...

Mon Apr 16, 08:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

You and Blake warned me, and you both were dead-on. I haven't seen "Cache" yet, that was a hellva trailer for it and that's just too bad.

Beth,

There are parts that might appeal to the artist in you, I think your painter friend will appreciate it more from an artistic standpoint. Dale surmised it even better right above.

Mon Apr 16, 09:02:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home