Saturday, May 19, 2007

It's An El Michaels Affair, Featuring Issac Hayes...

...and you're invited. I have to generate a tough, but reserved vibe for a story outline. So rather than go with the tried and true in my music library, I need a new avenue.

Go all the way back to the Geto (sp.) Boys track, "My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me"...cool. But the rap vocals would provide an unnecessary distraction for what I had in mind. When I looked it up what song was sampled a few years ago, a site led me down the wrong path, saying that the Geto Boys sampled a track by The Crusaders.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

It's actually an Issac Hayes song that he did for the Soundtrack for "Tough Guys," called "Hung Up On My Baby." I Googled it and got two versions of the song, the original and one by a group called "El Michaels Affair."

I wound up buying both of them, only because I really couldn't get a handle of the Issac version by the short sample and I really dug the "El Michaels" CD in its entirety. Now what I mean by "I couldn't get a handle," is the sample gave me the impression that percussion and the play speed were different than the Geto Boys version. It is.

The "El Michaels Affair" is a party waiting to happen and the most ambiance that you can find on one CD. All you need to add are people and libations. We're talking about the old Stax sound, pre-Reggae Jamaican brass, Al Green, and a little Maceo Parker (the horn man behind James Brown and Parliment-Funkadelic) thrown in.

Check it out at the
Truth & Soul site or at Amazon, because the latter has samples of all the tracks. Though if you dig the CD, buy it at Truth & Soul. So that an independent can truly thrive and you'll make sure that artists can keep this world both beautiful and unique.

As far as the story? You know that it's sitting writing limbo...or you haven't been reading this blog or paying attention to the name of it.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger haahnster said...

Geto Boys, eh? Well, any group responsible for this line, "Somebody tell that country ass hick/To go suck a dead man's d*ck," is OK by me.

Sun May 20, 06:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Haahnster,

You are the "snap" in "oh, snap!" The fact that a Midwestern Dad that is a Neil Young fan can rattle off all these hardcore rap lyrics just blows my mind!

Sun May 20, 09:36:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home