Sunday, January 13, 2008

Did You Blink? Part I

I've been on local three times and I won't go into detail about those occasions, other than to say that the latter two times were unpleasant experiences. The very last time was particularly vexing because the teasing about it went on for some years nine years after the first airing.

Needless to say, I'm not going into that until YouTube puts it up there and I'll be forced to confront it head on.

I've been on national TV twice, though you probably blinked and missed me altogether. Realistically, I could barely find me and I knew where to look.

The first time, Tony Hawk was about to jump a ramp and during the establishing shot of the ramp, I was pointing out how the camera on the crane worked to Procrastinator Junior. If they repeat it which I doubt they ever will, look to the left side of the ramp right away. I'm the guy at the bottom of the first ramp, in the gray shirt and I'm pointing to the mounted camera that was obscured for the most part, from that view.

About an hour before that, we saw Biff Henderson just sitting outside the Roy Rogers, about a block from the Ed Sullivan Theater. He was just hanging out on a bench and while we had a chance to meet him, I kept telling the Missus that we should leave him alone because celebs are supposed to be left alone in NYC. She said that he probably wanted to bothered and she was probably right.

From reading summary of the show, I didn't remember the tricks correctly. I thought he did two aerial 360s and-

[W]e go back outside to Tony Hawk. He will be performing his first jump, called, "The Mute Tweak." Tony roars down the ramp and up and flies high through the air to another receiving ramp. The Mute Tweak. It's similar to the Tweak, but you can't hear this one.

Back from commercial, we are ready for another Tony Hawk jump. Next in the lineup is the Ollie. It's just like the Mute Tweak but it is performed without hands. Tony shoves off and heads down the ramp. Up and over he goes, but loses his board in flight. Tony takes a spill on the other side but I don't think this is the first time this has happened. Tony knows how to fall. He brushes himself off and says that he is OK.

TOP TEN: DUMB GUY EXPLANATIONS FOR MARS BEING CLOSE TO EARTH#7. Who cares? I'm gonna go shoot rats at the dump.#6. Mars? Oh, I thought you said Marv.

Following the Top Ten, Tony Hawk is ready for his next leap. This time he'll be performing the Indy 360. The 360 tells me there is a full revolution involved. This time Tony hits it perfectly. I give the 360 a 10.

I do remember that he landed both of his attempts smoothly and cleanly, and in retrospect, his missed attempt wasn't that bad. He didn't even bruise himself and he has always known how to dissipate the impact of a wipeout. It wasn't even that much of wipeout.

Yes, I know that Biff isn't really a "celebrity" per se, but that doesn't mean that he want a quiet moment to himself.

Coming sometime next week, Part II of "Did You Blink" in which I see a movie legend's not so good plastic surgery and sixty people are left to the mercy of one of the worst actors of all time.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Sorry, didn't see any of it.

I'm looking forward to your next post, though!

I've never been on national TV, and was only on local TV twice... once for a news story about where I was working, and once on a pre-teen dance show...

Sun Jan 13, 09:47:00 AM PST  
Blogger Amy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sun Jan 13, 09:47:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Amy,

But weren't you in a film?

Sun Jan 13, 08:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Wow. You're my new star sighting.

Mon Jan 14, 11:28:00 AM PST  
Blogger Joe said...

Very cool. I was big on CNN and Univision (or was it Telemundo?) for a while back in early 1992.

Mon Jan 14, 04:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

Does making your own movies count as being on tv? I remember seeing Rupert walk by Letterman's theatre once and thinking, hey, it's Rupert.

Mon Jan 14, 07:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Coaster,

More a like a brush ado about nothing. Next post will be at least a little interesting.

Bubs,

"I was big on CNN and Univision (or was it Telemundo?) for a while back in early 1992."

¡Ah, sí! ¡Bubs, el volar, piloto furioso de policía!

Ah, yes! Bubs, the flying, furious police pilot!

Dale,

"Does making your own movies count as being on tv?"

Whew, so many possiblities with this and I'm going to actually let it go without comment...

Tue Jan 15, 07:43:00 AM PST  
Blogger is that so wrong? said...

Hey, I'd say any appearance on national TV makes you somewhat of a celebrity, no matter how minor. Just imagine those young athletic twentysomethings on herpes treatment commercials. All that bike riding and mountain hiking.... and they're all celebrities now.

Tue Jan 15, 08:13:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

ITSW,

I was going to write a character into a screenplay and I still will most likely put one into a short story of someone whose entire acting resume was to consist of embarassing ads.

"Yes, I was Hemorrhoid Suffer #3, Herpacin N User from 1999 through 2002 and Pepto-Bismal Man. Why do you ask?"

Tue Jan 15, 08:13:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home