Thursday, January 05, 2006

Question!

The Writer's Guild of America has announced the "nominees for outstanding achievement in writing for the screen during the 2005 season."

http://www.wga.org/subpage_newsevents.aspx?id=1537

I'm just curious and I'm not entirely certain that I'm the first to ask this, but let me ask screenwriters and non-screenwriters...

"which award would you rather receive, a WGA award or the Oscar?" That is to say, your peers who respect and understand all that is involved with writing or the prestige and money that comes with an Oscar.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Thanks for coming by, Chris...

It it's true what they say about everyone in Hollywood from the lot security guard or janitor up through a mid-level producer having a script or three that they want to pitch, then they our peers. I'm kidding and not trying to be an elitist. But some years I wonder if the best script has won versus an excellent acting performance that really wasn't there on the paper, but garnered attention for the film.

Or say, a visual spectacular where the script is secondary to the visual? Would say, someone who won for costumes or special effects be less susceptible to voting for a blockbuster that would provide more work for their peers versus voting for a fine little film where the script was the *entire* picture?

All the examples that I had lined up at the top of my head turned out just to be that when I looked them up, in my head. It turned out that both the Academy and the Guild had nominated all of them, but none of the examples that I remembered won either award and were nominated only.

"American Splendor" won over "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" in 2004 and while I loved both, "American" had a slight edge in terms of script for me.

http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Writers_Guild_of_America_USA/2004

Sat Jan 07, 07:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Jan 07, 07:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

_America_USA/2004

continuation of the URL. The comment that was deleted was my flub.

Sat Jan 07, 07:43:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home