Thursday, April 26, 2007

"Aren't You Relieved To Know That You're Not A Golem?"

Sublime. A word that isn't used often enough, because most people find it underwhelming and that's a shame. Stranger Than Fiction is "sublime." I would directly and favorably compare it to "The Purple Rose of Cairo," though obviously it is about books instead of movies.

Will Ferrell was perfect in it and his performance was sublime, same with Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman. I believe that's why that's why this fine film passed by everyone's radar...oh, that, and the fact that Columbia fucking forgot to market it.

If you've ever written a novel, screenplay or a short story, "Stranger" will give you more than food for thought. It's a Vegas buffett and you are the only one in line. The one thing that threw me off was that the comedic moments were fewer and farther between than I had expected with the presence of Will Ferrell. Yet, this is understandable when you realize that the story itself, intentionaly searches for a tone so that the audience will be kept off balance.

One of the more brilliant comedic scenes wasn't included in the theatrical release, but is in the extras. A fictional book show where Kristin Chenowith plays a vapid morning show character that interviews Emma Thompson's character, some years before when the novel was to take place.

So much for my power of observation, I missed all The Beatles References. I don't usual make remarks about people gaining weight as I'm not the lightest person on Earth, but Tom Hulce? What's up, "Hamadeus?" Not to mention after seeing his character, I'll never use the word "convo" again, even though I always use it in jest.



****SPOILER****



You have to highlight this one with your mouse to see it...


Deus Est Emma and the noir side of me is just fine with it.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

I love Will Ferrell but I haven't seen this one yet. It's out on DVD?

My word verification word is "iierbaay." Sounds like a refreshing drink in Pig Latin.

Thu Apr 26, 07:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becka,

It's been out on DVD a couple of weeks and you're going to be surprised, he is the straight man in this gig.

"Sounds like a refreshing drink in Pig Latin."

You and Procrastinator Junior with the ig-Pay atin-Lay.

Thu Apr 26, 08:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger deadspot said...

I love Emma Thompson. She's absolutely gorgeous, even if she did bear a startling resemblance to Richard Butler in this movie.

I tried to find the "Queen Emma" photo that was on the cover of some magazine about 10 years ago, but (rather predictably) Stranger Than Fiction hits drown out everything else when you search for Queen Emma Thompson. We had British friends with a daughter named Emma, so that cover went up on her wall as soon as it came out. It's one of my favorite pictures of Emma Thompson.

Fri Apr 27, 06:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger deadspot said...

Found it.

Fri Apr 27, 07:00:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Spot,

The IMDB says that Emma wasn't wearing any makeup and I thought she looked rather well without, though I'm not sure that she quite looked like Richard Bulter (egad!).

That's weird, I don't even remember that Emma of Arc Vanity Fair cover, though most of their covers have faded from my mind. I forgot to mention that the fine romantic comedy foil that was Maggie Gylenhaal.

Fri Apr 27, 07:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger deadspot said...

Well, I probably wouldn't have remembered it either, if I hadn't seen it so often and for so long.

Saying that she looked like Richard Butler was probably a little harsh. She just reminded me of Richard Butler... especially in that long black coat. She was just giving off a Psychedelic Furs vibe.

And, yes, Maggie Gyllenhaal was great.

Fri Apr 27, 12:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Spot,

The problem is that since you've posted that, I keep thinking

Love my way Harold Crick
It's a new world
I follow, where my Smith Corona goes


"And, yes, Maggie Gyllenhaal was great."

A real cupcake ; )

Fri Apr 27, 03:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

now I'm dying to see it, wp!!!

Fri Apr 27, 11:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

You'll like it especially.

Sat Apr 28, 11:54:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is my fave movie in ages, executed so brilliantly I was frozen to my chair, remote in hand, in shock... so refreshing and unique

My fave part is when he starts to let Emma dictate his life instead of following his own, the "what is 467X952" or whatever, and then Emma corrects him

Sat Apr 28, 08:25:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Quill,

First, what happened to the old avatar? Did Keith try to charge you for using his likeness (that sounds more like Mick, to charge)?

Second, it was as different a film as could be. I can't call it absolutely ground-breaking, but I couldn't guess any of it until the very end, which had an either/or scenario.

The scene you mentioned was about my third fave and that's not to take away from it. I loved the tender scene on his "last night" with Maggie and my ultimate fave was when Dustin tried to eliminate all the premise possibilities.

Sat Apr 28, 09:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

now i gotta see it!

Sun Apr 29, 01:06:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home