Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday Night

The last three Sunday nights in a row, we (the household, not the "royal") have been watching Tiramisu and Asian Buffet.

"Tiramisu" is 70% soap opera (read, melodrama), 20% comedy and about 10% food. Let me preface this by admitting that I am a snob, I would not watch "Tiramisu" if it were an American or British production. Barring the occasional lust...er, crush, on a particular actress, I will not watch soap operas at all.

Half the acting on the show is substandard, even by soap opera standards. It's not hard to deduce that the lesser actors were cast solely upon their looks and English-speaking abilities. Yet, there is a certain chemistry and it works.

"Asian Buffet" kicks ass on so many levels, no show comes even close. Sure, Bourdain could make any show in the World worth watching, but neither he nor the entire Travel Channel can cover as much ground as this show does. I'm talking about recreations of royal feasts from Persia (yes I know it's Iran, I meant dishes from the Persian Empire), to Tibet, to Thailand, to Okinawa.

Tonight, they had the role that spices play in Asian cuisine. Hot peppers from the interior of Thailand all the way up to the Sichuan Province. Curries and masala in India. The whole process of making wasabi in Japan, from the fields, all the way up to the sushi. It's definitely a show you don't want to watch while you are hungry.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

I can't get into shows about food. When they make it so you can push a little button on your remote and the dish that's being made on the screen pops out through a slot in the TV, then maybe I'll watch.

Mon Apr 23, 03:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becka,

You are the reason we need to fast track the development of Smell-o-vision!

Mon Apr 23, 09:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, you could send a food addict on a binge. omg. I am running like a dawg to watch those shows.

I also have no food in the house. f)*()&)(*&*&(*^*&^*(&^(*&^ck.

Mon Apr 23, 09:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

I can't watch The Food Network. I'm afraid I'll get hungry and gorge all night long. I'm weak.

Tue Apr 24, 05:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Sure you can, put the eliptical machine right by the TV...or watch that "Almost Homemade" show. She kills my appetite every time.

Tue Apr 24, 07:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

You should have that Craig's List Guy not only clean your house, but stock your fridge ; )

Tue Apr 24, 07:21:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home