Saturday, May 26, 2007

You Post, I Learn And Yet, Another Writing Quote

In a response to a post, Beth mentioned this quote ...

Fellow Georgian Flannery O'Connor uttered my favorite writer's quote: Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the universities stifle writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.

As someone who both champions the underdog and scowls at what "literature" is offered in both airports and supermarkets, I say, nice quote Beth. Though I know my Southern Goth authors as well as Illresident Shrub knows compassion, that is, third-hand. I think from glancing at a few paragraphs of Miss O'Connor's work that I could study up on her, when I go through my monthly crime burnout where I don't think I can read another line about somebody doing something wrong.

It seems that Miss O'Connor will offer a very different take on the same things that I read about and that stir in the human mind. Here's another quote from Miss Flannery on writing...

"I write every day for at least two hours," she said in an interview in 1952, "and I spend the rest of my time largely in the society of ducks."

7 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Flannery O'Connor, Flannery Alden and Beth are all from Baby Jesus. Or ducks. Just like you W.P.

Sat May 26, 10:26:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

I was going make a poor joke about a duck messiah, but I don't want to wind up being the sole lightning strike in San Francisco for this decade.

Sat May 26, 05:35:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Though I know my Southern Goth authors as well as Illresident Shrub knows compassion ..."

So soaked in hatred are these liberals. The self-appointed saviors of the universe, these "compassionate" and "tolerant" types who have no taste for logic or facts have nothing but venom for the President.

I admit, it takes some talent to distort any topic into jab against Bush, or a distortion of his last name. Wow, how mature.

Grow up, hypocrites, and learn some respect.

Sun May 27, 03:09:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

Those Bush-lovers can never take a joke, can they? And isn't it interesting that they leave comments without links, so that we can't visit their blogs. Silly boys.

Sun May 27, 04:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

well... one man's rubbish is another man's gold eh? i've read a few books that I thought maybe should not have been published, but when i passed it on to a friend she loved it! to each his own i reckon.

Sun May 27, 09:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

dear liberals are idiots:

like beth, I also wonder why conservative right wing bush lovers don't leave links to their sites. man up, sugar. we won’t bite.

ignorance is bliss and you really seem to enjoy basking in your bush lovin, gun totin coma. knock yourself out. stay there. ga head.

you can disagree with wp's post all you want, after all, this is a democracy. but, there is no need for you to be hostile and vile to someone as intelligent, gracious and talented as write procrastinator. what are you accomplishing by doing this? not a damn thing, princess.

Sun May 27, 06:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Amazing how that works, eh?

Angel,

From that point of view, absolutely, yes. With both books and music that I've enjoyed immensely that I've loaned out to friends, their reactions have been less than stellar.

One man's tripe, is another man's menudo

Katie-lah,

Well said and we won't bite, but Louie might.

Sun May 27, 08:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home