Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Author Must Be Educated, Or At Least Informed

So, I'm learning a bunch of stuff this morning and I guess if you want to write about pulp, you have to research it until it is coming out of your ears. Or least I hope that is "pulp" that is coming out of my ears and not some other gray matter (iffff, I only had a brain).

For instance, what appliances were used in the 1930's and how much homes cost, as well as those in the following decade. Conversely, if you don't type in the right search words, you get entirely too much information about how much houses made back in the 1930's, cost now in Santa Monica.

I'm learning about the Southern Californian thoroughbred race tracks and it seemed to be the premiere investment back then, for movie stars and studio heads. See, even back in the day, they knew something like Planet Hollywood would never catch on.

I'm also learning about the price of food back then, a subject that fascinated me as a child and intrigues Procrastinator Junior, as well. If you think about it, it is one the most tangible ways to measure an era in terms of what it cost to survive back then. Not to mention when you hear about steaks going for a few dollars back then, when you can't find a non-fast food joint that will sell you hamburgers at that price, now, blows kid's minds.

I'm learning far more than I want to about tatting, but it will provide a crucial detail from a visual and kinetic standpoint. Sometimes the "too much information" moniker doesn't always apply to things that are gory or scatological in nature.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

T.C. Boyle would be so proud of you.

Tue Jun 12, 02:54:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Why, thank you! That's a huge compliment, though I couldn't quite kick the TV habit, the way T.C. has.

Tue Jun 12, 04:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

Rumor has it among our "Bring Back Coraghessan" crowd that he actually watches a lot of sports, but nothing else.

And I bet T.C.'s been proud of you for years ...

Tue Jun 12, 08:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

that kind of stuff fascinates me! so much so that i have a book call "this book" http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Mitchell-Symons/dp/0593053486/ref=sr_1_15/002-4200289-8230437?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181676488&sr=1-15 (the sequel to "that book")

Tue Jun 12, 12:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

I hope to give him something to be proud of, soon (that doesn't quite sound right).

Angel,

Is that the guy who wrote that book about why men have nipples (again, that doesn't sound quite right)?

Tue Jun 12, 03:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger chelene said...

Give me a period piece and I'm a happy girl. Especially old New York.

Tue Jun 12, 05:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger EditorJDC said...

"Give me a period piece and I'm a happy girl. Especially old New York."

and Monkeys! Always Monkeys! Evil ones.

JDC

Tue Jun 12, 07:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger EditorJDC said...

"So, I'm learning a bunch of stuff this morning and I guess if you want to write about pulp, you have to research it until it is coming out of your ears."

Astonishing Adventures! Magazine has infected you with even more pulpy need? I'm so proud if this is true.

Seriously, I am amazed at the talent my friends have shown (you thar WP) with this little ePulp. I've stayed away from doing this sort of thing for years and I see that was a mistake now. I can't wait to showcase your work mister.

Heck, we just scored an interview with Peter David and artist Doug Klauba (Google his work and be AMAZED).

JDC

Tue Jun 12, 07:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Chelene,

Period pieces are the best, as opposed to reading blogs about peri...never mind.

Johnny Dollars,

Unfortunately, I can think of one evil monkey that doesn't make for a good story.

"Astonishing Adventures! Magazine has infected you with even more pulpy need? I'm so proud if this is true."

Absolutely, I've always had problems getting a piece from that era done and you've helped me tremendously. I wish the second story was going so easy, it's hard to rid the story of anachronisms and modern sensabilities that we take for granted.

Doug is the bomb. He has a great sense of Deco and Post Deco illustrations and shadings.

Tue Jun 12, 09:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

If burgers were still just a couple of bucks, I would be a couple of hundred pounds heavier.

Wed Jun 13, 12:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becka,

I can relate. Having the dim sum place that was within walking distance of my house go out of business, has shaved a couple of pounds off of me. One could get a meal and a soda for $3.90 and it was quality stuff.

Wed Jun 13, 08:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

he did indeed write "that book"!!!

Sat Jun 16, 11:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

That book was all the rage last year and I missed out on both of those.

Sun Jun 17, 08:42:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home