Sunday, June 10, 2007

There Can Be Only One!...Well...

Say it with me in a slightly stilted (as opposed to "tilted?") French accent, "therre...can be...only one!"

So the Food Network has a show where they try to find the next "Food Network Star" and it's format is much like that of the premiere food reality TV show, "Top Chef." To be fair, I looked it up on the IMDB and "The Next Food Network Star" aired some seven months before the first episode of "Top Chef." Yet it isn't even close, one will have me watching all but one or two episodes during the season and the other will be lucky to have me watching more than five minutes.

With "Top Chef," you have trained artists going at it, the best of the best and sure, they're telegenic. With "The Next Food Network Star," it's more about their personalities and how telegenic they are, versus their actual cooking abilities. What's okay about the latter show is that they trot out a different Food Network personality for each episode and the majority of them can cook.

The very worst contestants in "Top Chef" would crush the majority of "T.N.F.N.S," it's not even close. Procrastinator Junior likes to watch this particular show and I watched it in depth for the first time, tonight. The cats and kittens on "T.N.F.N.S" make the same kinds of mistakes that you or I would make in that situation and they even "borrowed" a "Top Chef" bit, where they catered a wedding.

The wedding bit was from Season One of "Top Chef," though the mistakes that the "T.N.F.N.S." competitors made, were almost as many as two entire seasons of "Top Chef," magnified. This Giada/Jewel Kitchner clone didn't buy enough food or run her team with any efficiency at all, tp the point that the whole reception could've gone down the tubes. Yet they bounced a Brazilian woman and one is left to believe that is was because of her Portuguese accent, rather than her actual cooking abilities.

Why even bother to call it a "cooking competition?" I'm sorry, if whoever it is looks like Ernest Borgnine (be it woman or man), but can entertain and cook better than James Beard and Julia Child put together, that's who I'll watch. If that person is telegenic and can cook? So much the better.

Speaking of looks, someone went and cloned The Communicatrix!

This is "T.N.F.N.S" contestant, Amy Finley...














...And this is Colleen Wrainwright a.k.a. The Communicatrix. Colleen took down all the pictures where she had a similar hairstyle (which style she probably had way before her "clone" Amy did) and it's a good thing because your minds really would've been blown then. Think about it though, if Amy wins, everyone is going to walk up to Colleen and say "aren't you the new Food Network Star?"

No kids, the The Communicatrix came way before the next Food Network Star.

Oh yeah, there can be only ONE!

"Top Chef," this Wednesday! Only on Bravo!...



...Don't tell me what happens, I'll blog about it when they repeat during the day or the weekend.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

I hate shows about cooking. I wish they would all...uh...burn out.

Now, if there were a show with Corey Haim and Diane Franklin cooking, I might watch that.

Mon Jun 11, 04:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becka,

I tell you what, I'll like, stop calling you "Becka," if you, like, stop harshing my food mellow.

Mon Jun 11, 08:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger the communicatrix said...

Well, I'd rather be mistaken for her than Martha Raye (may she rest in peace).

Do you suppose if I went back to that hairstyle, I could kidnap her and take her place? Is that cooking show a union gig?

I would do many evil things to get back on the union health care plan...

Tue Jun 12, 12:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Colleen,

Welcome and "Martha Raye"???

"Do you suppose if I went back to that hairstyle, I could kidnap her and take her place?"

Vocally, I have no idea. Otherwise? Absolutely!

"Is that cooking show a union gig?"

Good question and that I don't know...

"I would do many evil things to get back on the union health care plan."

...though I do know that when you go to Barnes & Noble or Borders, the Food Network personalities get priority in terms of shelf space and floor display space.

If you make that kind of money, you could more than afford your own healthcare.

Tue Jun 12, 02:58:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home