Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Dè a tha a' dol?

I’ve got...
(In-laws!)
Like the Red Lobster’s got claws
(In-laws!)
To make even a mathematician pause

From the P.C.H. to the L.I.E.
(In-laws!)
From Strong Island to-The-City
(In-laws!)
Extends the branches of my Wife’s family

(cue the sound of a horse at full gallop, then coming to complete stop)
(The In-laws are coming! The In-laws are coming!)
Put a sock in it, Paul Revere.
(The In-laws are coming! The In-laws are coming!)
And while you’re at it, get that horse out of here!
...Oh no, there goes the cleaning deposit on the apartment.


Dè a tha a' dol? Which means “what’s up?” in Gaelic.

So the Da and Ma of the Missus flew in last night and I knew I had the correct flight and gate right away because...
A) Everybody was coming off of American Airlines Flight 85 in a
single line.
B) There was no pushing or shoving.
C) Everybody was using their “indoor voices.”
D) There was no note passing.
E) There was no gum-chewing.

No the flight wasn’t out of Singapore, it was out of JFK. My Mother-in-law
was a teacher for almost forty years and raised four girls and a boy. You bet that everyone was on their best behavior or they would wind up serving detention at the baggage carousel.

So if you’re in San Francisco and everyone is sitting up with perfect posture
and no one is talking out of turn, you have a pretty good idea why.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

oh, the vortex of shame. you poor, poor child. annoying in-laws are such a huge pain in the ass. hang in, bubbie. just keep looking at the return flight date :)

Wed Feb 22, 02:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Au contraire, mon Katie. I love my in-laws, we get along better than friends or family do.

It's my own family outside of my house that cannot stand me and in turn, I respond to them with indifference.

Wed Feb 22, 03:15:00 PM PST  
Blogger slurp! said...

glad you get along well with your in-law. i think it's usually a case, i mean they got to "approve" before you could marry your wife right? :D

i seen cases of in-law family broken marriage due to in-law disapproval. really sad, happened to one of my friend :(

Sat Feb 25, 09:48:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I did get lucky with them Slurp, very few of my cousins can say the same and one was even run out of the house, so to speak.

Sat Feb 25, 11:14:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home