Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Quote And/Nor Inspiration

When the in-laws and I went to Green Apple Books a few weeks ago, I saw a refrigerator magnet that summed up my prevailing sentiment of writing at the time and I bought it. It's a quote from a painter who earned very little and he didn't get to enjoy the fruits of his labor nor the recognition he deserved...

I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.

Vincent Van Gough
Not that I'm comparing my writing to Van Gough's artistry, I'm only talking about the sentiment.
It's time to find inspiration and I rely on a verse from one of my favorite bands that probably only 2,000 people has even heard of, the Sea Hags.
A band that took the glam rock sound to its next to last incarnation, but drugs and a fickle record company brought them down before they could even contend with the grunge phenomena.
There's two wenches
Looking for fuse
And there's nobody dancing
They've got the burnout blues
Tyner's whiners are draggin' their tales
As the crowd keeps 'A yawnin' for more
So I'm...
Tossin' some words
Into the brew
And I'm stirrin' the music
Into Riff Rock Stew
I'm gettin' back to the grind
I'm gettin' back to the grind
Back to the grind
I'm gettin'
back
to the grind...ow
"Back To The Grind"- Sea Hags

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

I have been there. Remember the genius gene is an animal - if left to run wild, it will destroy - but if controlled, it creates beauty.
God Bless.

Wed Apr 05, 06:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

beautiful lyrics. I so relate to the post in general. the life of a writer can be as tormented, at least I think so.

Wed Apr 05, 09:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Annie,

Thanks for the deep and inspiring words. God bless you too.

Katie,

Yeah, they were one of the few hair bands that thought lyrics were as important as Aquanet.

If the results weren't satisfying, would being a writer be worth it?

Wed Apr 05, 08:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Alicia said...

An artist's life is tortured, no matter the art.

I sometimes think that I am losing my mind because I don't pour my heart and my soul into my work.

Back to the grind...

Thu Apr 06, 11:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Alicia,

"I sometimes think that I am losing my mind because I don't pour my heart and my soul into my work."

An equally valid point. The mind and soul do not like to be restrained or held back.

Sat Apr 08, 12:02:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home