Saturday, September 23, 2006

By Request...

A friend of mine got a rejection letter the other day for some scripts that she submitted to a production company. I'm not sure if she wants me to post her name or not, because I don't look at as a failure on her part, but a loss for the production company. But I'll submit in this post if she wants.

She was feeling bad about it and damn if I hadn't been there a few times myself. It's like you are on a carousel, the ring is platinum instead of brass and just when you think you're about to nab it, someone yanks it back and goes, "psyche!"

So I said...

Hasn't it been said that Hemingway papered his walls with rejection slips? Don't wallow too long like I do. Have a good cry, take (*****) to the dog park, eat something special, and rebound with the quickness, right?

My friend said...

Thanks for asking, sweets, I’m ok. it was just a tough one, ya know. I really hoped it would turn out differently. I got the most annoyingly gratuitous response:

"Though we enjoyed the scripts very much, overall we felt that the tone of the humor didn’t completely fit in with our brand, or with the types of projects that we’re currently hoping to add to our slate.

We really appreciated the chance to get to know your writing—thanks again for sending us your material."

Talk about utter crap. Why couldn’t they just say, WE HATE YOUR SHIT. you know?!

I replied...

Ah yes, the standard letdown letter, though theirs seems to be even a little more gentle than the rest. One day, I want a prodco to send me a letter that sez, "it's not you, it's us...really."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger chelene said...

I once read about a writer (I think it was Marion Zimmer Bradley) who would write really honest critiques of stories that we sent in for her opinion. I think I would prefer that to something that seemed to be the equivalent of your standard computer generated auto-reply.

Sat Sep 23, 01:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, I think you're a great friend. the friend you wrote about is super lucky to know you.

ps: "One day, I want a prodco to send me a letter that sez, "it's not you, it's us...really."

THAT IS SO FUNNY! YOU JUST DON'T KNOW HOW BRILLIANT THAT IS!!!!

Sat Sep 23, 05:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I would like that very much too, unfortunately I don't see film production companies paying the extra for that. They pay readers anywhere from nothing, to fifty dollars per script.

The script readers then fill out a form that basically states whether the script is a rejection, maybe, or worth producting. They also have room for a small critique.

If it falls into the "rejection" pile, some underpaid assistant or secretary, if you are lucky, will send the form letter.

Sat Sep 23, 05:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie,

Yeah, super lucky ; )

Gian Don,

I haven't gotten as far as a bait and switch company, consider yourself fortunate (in an odd way) to make it that far.

Sat Sep 23, 06:44:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home