Saturday, September 16, 2006

¿Cuál es el mejor taqueria? Plus, how much is that vegan in the window?

First, taste is arbitrary, right? So when I see an article like this one about which taqueria is the best in San Francisco, I can't let myself get all worked up, right?

No foaming at the mouth, right? No semi-automatic ranting, right? Um, wrong. I've filed down the firing pin and I'm going full-auto rant, papi chulo-style.

Of the Top Twenty listed: Cactus Taqueria and El Farolito are great, I won't argue that. Taqueria El Castillito ain't half bad, either. I will never go to La Fonda, it's next door to my favorite hamburger and breakfast place in the world, the Irving Street Cafe. Wrong place to set up shop, folks.

Yet, as I scroll up and down the list, I see some slights and glaring omissions. In the slight department, L'Avenida (they have the best carnitas) and Taqueria San Jose (they have the best meats that are marinated) are in the "other taquerias tried in the line of duty ." Mira, if you truly tried them, they would be in your Top Twenty, tiróns. You make it seem like it was a chore to eat in such fine establishments, when it was a blessing that you shouldn't have the opportunity to participate in, ¡pendejos!

L'Avenida has been voted best non-Mission district taqueria by the Bay Guardian readers poll. If I'm down at 24th and Mission and Taqueria San Jose is still open, it's my first choice. Because it's all about the marinade and they get it just right. ¡Sabroso! What kept them out of the Top Twenty? You couldn't find parking? Did they give you two less tortilla chips than the others?

Then they didn't even bother to try Taqueria Los Altos (they have the best salsa fresca) or Procrastinator Jr.'s favorite, Taqueria Miraloma (who happens to make the chile verde de puerco). ¡Pinche vatos!

Second, click the pic and tell me just how much do they go for, again?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, I love, love, LOVE that you posted about the taqueria's in sf. having lived in sf, like you, I take my burritos very seriously and sf has the best taquerias in the us. there was a taqueria I used to frequent in the mission all the time. I can't remember the name of it. my god, do I suck ass. the cactus burrito shop, that's on haight, right? if it is, I remember that joint!!!

Sun Sep 17, 01:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Asking me to narrow down taquerias in the Mission, is like trying to narrow down Davids in a synagogue ; )

What was the cross street? Or the landmarks that you think haven't changed?

I'll bet there have been like eight more taquerias added in the area since you've lived here.

Sun Sep 17, 05:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

oh my god! "Asking me to narrow down taquerias in the Mission, is like trying to narrow down Davids in a synagogue ; )"

I AM HOWLING. HOWLING!!!

Sun Sep 17, 07:29:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home