Sunday, October 08, 2006

50 Things To Eat Before You Die

I was blog hopping and I found http://www.writecoast.com/. A distant cousin, blog-wise? Not exactly. At any rate, thanks to Write Coast because there was this from the BBC, "50 Things To Eat Before You Die."

Since I can't "strike" or "cross out" because I don't know HTML and "Blogger Help" is anything but, here are the foods on the list that I have not eaten:

11)
Moreton Bay Bugs. If I ever get down to Austrailia, sure. I just don't want "to see the sausage made." Other than that, it's all good.
19)
Cream Tea. Nope, nor have I had "clotted cream."
20)
Alligator. Every time a restaurant in San Francisco features this, it manages to close before I can get there.
21)
Kangaroo. I am, absolutely down, for this. I'll try most food as long as it is not dog, cat or...
32)
Guinea Pig. It would take the Apocalypse to get me to knowingly eat any kind of rodent.
36)
Barramundi. Sounds like another reason to make a trip Down Under.
42)
Durian Fruit. No and hell no. Remember, your sense of smell is connected to your sense of taste. Anything riper than gorgonzola is a huge fuhgedaboutit.

I've had Aussie meat pies and Cornish pasties, but they were made by Americans and I'm entirely sure if they weren't seasoned for American tastes. Much like most so-called Italian food in America, which is as authentically Italian as a cheeseburger.


Hopefully within the next two weeks, I can comply a list "of fifty things to eat before you die."

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger chelene said...

Haggis and Durian fruit will never pass my lips.

Mon Oct 09, 07:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

What did Mike Myers say in "So I Married An Axe Murderer," about haggis? I had to look it up because I was way off...

"No, I think it's repellent in every way. In fact, I think most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare."

I forgot about haggis. I'm still on the fence with that, though I'm leaning away.

Mon Oct 09, 11:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

I actually have eaten alligator. As the cliche goes, it tastes like chicken. Only gummier.

Mon Oct 09, 01:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Mmmmm, bubblegum chicken!

Mon Oct 09, 04:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Suzi said...

If I did this list from scratch, half (or more) of these foods wouldn't even be on there! We need to compile an American version, don't we?

Mon Oct 09, 09:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

SJ,

Welcome and yes, by all means, there should be an American list. I'm about eight into the fifty, but I'm seriously thinking about just listing twenty or so and letting everyone else contribute the remaining thirty.

The list leaves a lot to be desired because England is so limited in terms of both their food choices and their reluctance to include food that was outside the British Empire. Note that Chinese food could be considered from Hong Kong and that you also have food from countries that were formerly, or are still in the Empire. Jamaica, India, etc...

My main hold up has been in finding suitable examples. Either the restaurant menus give insufficent details for a particular dish, or the recipes I've found are not quite adequate, or are lacking.

Tue Oct 10, 03:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Eric Riback said...

Go for the cream tea, especially if you find yourself in London someday -- go to a nice hotel for it. A splurge well worth it.

Tue Oct 10, 08:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Welcome Eric,

Any friend of Mxyzl's, is a friend of mine. I've been to London, but high tea was the last thing on my mind when I was there. I'll add that on the to-do and the Missus would definitely enjoy that, as London is third on her European destinations list.

Wed Oct 11, 03:30:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home