Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Movie Meme

The underappreciated Is That So Wrong, dropped a movie meme. It's a pretty good one for fans...and an even better one for screenwriters

1. Popcorn or candy?

I've never been a fan of popcorn. It was too bland for me as a child and I don't like the smell of it as an adult. However, I will eat caramel corn, Crackerjack and the like.

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.

The Departed. The window to see it was there again, Friday, but I was too tired, and it's looking like wait until it comes out on DVD time again, for a movie that should be seen on the big screen.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?

You've read my
arguement that I usually use to stress why the Oscars have nothing to do with what actually was the best film that year. All good film schools teach "Raging Bull," but even the worst ones do not teach "Ordinary People." I use that example because it's tangible, even the lowest of cable channels won't even bother to show "Ordinary People," it didn't stand the test of time and the Academy knew it even back then. Yet in my heart, the worst travesty ever was the second one put upon Martin Scorsese. The one in which "Dances With Wolves" beat out "Goodfellas" for both Best Director and Best Picture." I'm not trying to discount "Dances," I'm just saying that it isn't remotely in the same category.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe.

A suit of samurai armor from "Ran" and watch me out-Mifune, Belushi as a samurai.

5. Your favorite film franchise is....

I'm not a huge fan of sequels and I give prequels a little more leeway. So obviously, I'm picking "The Fast And The Furious." Right,
Todd? No seriously, even though I still don't own the trilogy on DVD, I'd have to pick "The Godfather Saga." Obviously on the basis of the first two movies. Sofia didn't stink as much as the critics said she did.

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?

First, it wouldn't be five people. Second, I would have to come out of retirement as a cook, as I've only cooked about six times since Procrastinator Jr. has been born.
Carpaccio as the appetizer. Four small, different dishes of pasta for the second course and for the main? I'll have to ask Mr. Martin Scorsese and Ms. Thelma Schoonmaker just what they would like.

They are a duo that knows all that there is to know about filmmaking, life and greatness. Maybe William Monahan could be there too, so that we could find out what it's like to colloborate with Scorsese and just what
Jurassic Park IV is going to be about.

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?

As I explained to one Mr. Mernit on his blog, a cattle prod would be the best way to go. Give everyone fair warning on a poster and the waiver for the theater will be on the back of the tickets. A stun gun would knock the people out, but no one can withstand a cattle prod and the arcing electrical discharge from the thing, coupled with the danse macbre-lite, would discourage anyone else from even thinking about it.

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.

My first instinct was Ripley because as I've witnessed over the years at my job, height and weight discourage idiots. Most people stopped bothering me thirty pounds ago and while Sigorney is slight, she's six feet tall. The Bride is out, nobody fears blondes and a good bodyguard should discourage things from the onset.

Sarah Connor had only one speed, angry. That can create more problems than it solves. So I would go with Mace. She was pretty much invincible until Kathryn Bigelow had the L.A.P.D. do a Rodney King on her. Plus, she's the only one of the four characters that has actually done the job.

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?

"I'm both...a...doctor...and...a...lawyer."
Carre Otis in "Wild Orchid"

No, I haven't the slightest idea. I have a talent for putting traumatic things out of my head and if you had my family, it's a skill that you would possess too. Familial Darwinism.

10. Your favorite genre (excluding "comedy" and "drama") is....

Noir. Comedy is the distant second and drama can come along for the ride.

11. You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?

No concepts or half-baked pitches, only scripts that are completed and ready to go. How many times have you seen a movie and thought to yourself, "all the good parts I saw were already in the two minute trailer." That's because too many movies are just trailers and not films.

12. Bonnie or Clyde?

There has to be both, they are the yin and yang of crime. From a story standpoint, they complimented each other to the point that I doubt one wanted to outlive the other.

13. Who am I tagging to answer this survey?

Gian Don, My Best Online Friend Forever and the Birthday Girl, because I want to know how professionals would answer this meme.

The Raspberry Meme Queen, whom I still owe a meme. Beth, Haahnster and anybody else who reads this, feel free.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

Since you didn't tag me, I'll just play your little game right here in your comment section...

1. Popcorn or candy?
At the movies I'd take the candy. I like popcorn, but the movie theater kind has too much butter.

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.
Donnie Darko. Everyone raves about it.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?
I can't remember the Oscars from year to year, but whoever won instead of John Travolta the year he was nominated for "Pulp Fiction." My Johnny deserved to win.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe.
The mildly slutty red dress with black polka dots that Rizzo wore to the dance in "Grease."

5. Your favorite film franchise is....
I'd have to say "Spiderman" or "Toy Story." They're the only two that I can think of offhand where the 2nd installment of each was better than the first.

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?
I'm going strictly with my hormones here - John Travolta, Jeremy Sisto, Ewan McGregor, Johnny Depp and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?
To be killed and dipped in hot wax, just the way Vincent Price would've wanted it.

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.
Mystique. She can be anyone!

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?
I don't get that scared at movies anymore, but I still can't watch "Jaws." No shark attacks for me, thanks.

10. Your favorite genre (excluding "comedy" and "drama") is....
How can I exclude comedy!?!? Probably suspense/mystery.

11. You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?
No remakes and no bullshit movie versions of '70s and '80s TV shows. There would probably be a lot of roles for Mr. Travolta that year.

12. Bonnie or Clyde?
I don't think I ever saw it all the way through. But I'm not a Warren Beatty fan, so I'll say Bonnie.

13. Who am I tagging to answer this survey?
No one. Since I wasn't technically tagged, I don't have to tag anyone else.

Wed Nov 22, 12:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger James said...

I'm doing it, too. I need some lightness to balance the heaviness over at my blog.

Wed Nov 22, 06:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Cool. I'll give it some thought and answer soon.

Wed Nov 22, 07:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger is that so wrong? said...

Mifune? That's a rather delicious restaurant in the Japantown mall right across from Benihana. Who needs over priced hibachi grill food when you can get a massive bowl of tekka donburi for less than 10 bucks?

Thu Nov 23, 09:52:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becka,

"Since you didn't tag me,"

Oh, it's like that, huh? Well, you are now on my tag list for life. No matter the meme, whether it's for men exclusively is irrelevant, I'm tagging you ; )

"Donnie Darko," damn, why can't I remember that when I'm at Schlockbuster?

Travolta over "Forrest?" Hell, yes! And what would you serve for that dinner (wink-wink)?

L.A. would cause a worldwide wax shortage on day one, alone...A good arguement for Mystique...

A good list and like a Kenyan wildlife preserve, consider yourself tagged for life.

Thu Nov 23, 09:56:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

James,

Looking forward to it and your blog title does have the word "heavy" in it, right? You're allowed a certain amount of gravitas.

Pooks,

Looking forward to it and I hope your birthday was a memorable one.

ITSW,

Mifune always advertises when I go to the AMC Kabuki, I'll have to give them a try. Especially since I've never had Tekka Donburi. Thanks for the great meme.

Thu Nov 23, 10:04:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gian Don! I'll have to check it out on the way back home as the Missus won't let me bring the laptop with me.

Thu Nov 23, 12:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

onlineBFF, there is no way that my responses could even come a distant second to your eloquence.

nicely done. thoroughly fascinating. most intriguing.

I do have one question if you don't mind. please indulge me :--0

this is a serious question. if jesus were to submit a synopsis of a documentary about life in america since 9/11, what would his pov be?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS! I know I'm a wise crackin' cunsteinowitz, but I am curious. plus, I got the goods to back it up. I studied theology abroad for two-years and in college for one-year.

spill, child, spill.

Thu Nov 23, 08:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"onlineBFF, there is no way that my responses could even come a distant second to your eloquence."

Um, 'kay >; P

"this is a serious question. if jesus were to submit a synopsis of a documentary about life in america since 9/11, what would his pov be?"

Now you're just messing with me. You know that I'm about as deep on religon, as Smush Limbergher is on compassion.

What do I always say on your blog? Jesus would be shocked and angry at how people misuse his principles and his name, to further their own misguided agendas. To be a Christian, you have to be Christ-like.

That means above all, empathy, which is sorely lacking in today's society. Tolerance, not shoving the religon down the throats of people because you're going to win them over by example and show them that his way would be the right one, through example.

Also, Christ pretty much rejected material trappings in favor of spiritualism, that part really wouldn't go over in this day and age.

Islam didn't exist during Jesus time, so I don't know how he would react. I wish I knew how to answer that, because obviously God as Christians know him, said that he is the only true God, and not to put any other before him. Yet, Christ himself didn't represent the fire & brimstone set.

Thu Nov 23, 11:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

great points, wp. I really appreciate it. it's something I think about from time to time, all jokes aside.

he's more famous than princess diana and I think he's graced almost as many covers. he's synonymous with contemporary culture, so I do wonder what he would think of us especially since 911.

Fri Nov 24, 07:11:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie,

Thanks, but I don't think I did you or him, justice.

He has turned into a huge cultural phenomenona.

Fri Nov 24, 09:48:00 AM PST  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Hey, Mr. Touchy, I wasn't complaining about not being tagged, I just wanted to play!

You better not tag me for every meme or I'll send that Tom Cruise turkey to your house.

Fri Nov 24, 12:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"You better not tag me for every meme or I'll send that Tom Cruise turkey to your house."

All right, every non-male-specific meme, then.

Sat Nov 25, 09:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

Loved your answers. Wild Orchid indeed! I saw it over on Katie Schwartz' blog and adapted it a little. Nice blog by the way, I keep seeing your name around and have put off coming over. Appropriate?

Thu Nov 30, 02:58:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Loved your answers. Wild Orchid indeed!"

Thanks and it is one of truly scariest movies ever.

"I saw it over on Katie Schwartz' blog and adapted it a little."

I gotta go over there and check it out...

"Nice blog by the way, I keep seeing your name around and have put off coming over. Appropriate?"

...and same here. I see your name and comments in almost one quarter of the blogs that I read, and I don't think I've ever been over to your blog.

Thu Nov 30, 05:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

It's because you're lazy. Like me.

Fri Dec 01, 04:42:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"It's because you're lazy. Like me."

Yep, I live up the blog name in every way.

Sat Dec 02, 01:05:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home