Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hone Yer iPhone

When I said in my previous post that I had just found out about the iPhone, I wasn't completely in the dark. I knew with a seventy percent certainty that it would be announced at Macworld and what it was. I just had no idea what it would look like or what features it would have. I still really don't, as I've been catching up on other things and haven't had time to study up on it.

It's a nice "accessory," but unfortunately I work for a living and me carrying that thing around would leave it more jacked up then a scratching post at a kitten farm.

Nokia has a little booth at one of the few malls in San Francisco and they have a phone that doesn't have any buttons either. One day soon, all cell phones will be voice-activated and you won't be able to mention anyone's name, without fear of accidentally calling them.


The Missus bought me a prepaid cell phone for Christmas because I don't like to worry about minutes and the flat-rate company that was my former carrier, was always leaving me flat-out pissed off. Amongst other things, their coverage doesn't extend to my workplace and the phone's battery would wind down, looking for a signal. I never turned the damn thing off because once I did that, I would never remember to turn it back on until I had to make a call.

Not to mention that every time I went into any restaurant, I would get no reception, which did not bode well for the Missus when she wanted to change her take-out order with me.

The original phone and my first cell phone ever, was the Nokia 2270. It is still sold in some places, even though it is as old as dirt in cell years. Forget about downloadable ringtones, games or anything. We're talking a no-frills, candybar design that is tougher than sophisticated, as mine has been dropped hard over a dozen times.

The Old Faithful of cell phones in terms of durablity, people. And mine was dilapidated like that Ford Pinto you see every time you drive past the trailer park and you know rust is the only thing keeping it together (though not as flammable). The last four months I had that phone carrier, I had to pay my bill in person as their online paying service allegedly has/had security problems and my keypad was worn out, so I couldn't type in my debit card number anymore to their phone paying service.

How worn out was your keypad?

Thanks for asking! You can only read the numbers 2, 5, 8, and 0.

I used it as a PDA. Keying in my shopping list, appointments, script notes, and Procrastinator Jr. would play the pinball game whenever we were stuck waiting on his appointments, and whatnot. Well, the pre-paid phone wasn't going to work out because I couldn't transfer my phone over, so now I went with a plan where I have to pay attention somewhat to my minutes and I chose a Nokia 6133.

It's a perfect phone and as soon as I get the an adaptor to port over MP3 files, I'll be all set. Hopefully it's going to be easy to transfer MP3 files over to the ringtones, as so far, only Virgin Mobile as Mooney Suzuki's "Alive & Amplified" available as a ringtone.

5 Comments:

Blogger AngelConradie said...

i'm about to get my third motorola- a krazr- and i just love the motos!
i was keen on getting a full on pda again- but all it will do is cost me money since i do everything else i need on my laptop!

Sat Jan 13, 10:51:00 AM PST  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I think the iphone is great looking. I really do, and it's perks and benefits are a plenty. but, I have absolutely no interest in the phone whatsoever.

guess that makes us dinos.

Sat Jan 13, 12:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Mr. Crack Whore, I like what you said about this new fangled iPhone and the old fangled one you're carrying around on a moving dolly. Love, Assistant Mr. Crack Whore.

Sat Jan 13, 05:44:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

The Krazr was available and certainly was Procrastinator Junior's choice, but I read a minus about it online (that was later found to be incorrect) and I went with the Nokia.

The apprehension I have about PDAs is their eventual security vulnerabilites. I'm a laptop person too, though I need to get my damn wireless card slot fixed.

Katie,

I am a dinosaur and my interest is limited as I really don't listen to music much anymore. Plus, I'd really go apeshit if I scratched the thing, which would be inevitable.

Dale,

Heh-heh-heh! Do you write for Canandian TV?

Sat Jan 13, 10:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

changed my mind... again... i have decided to go for the v3x which is simply an upgrade on the one i have (v3) and won't cost me too much extra to use!

Sun Jan 21, 03:54:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home