Friday, December 22, 2006

The Closest You'll Come To Seeing Me Cry

I don't know the specifics, but all I do know is that it makes me incredibly sad. An author named Tribe, gave anyone who had Internet access and wanted to write crime fiction, a little place on the web to showcase their work. All was fine, all was good. I was ecstatic myself. It was the closest I've ever come to being published and for amateurs like myself, it was nice to have a couple of stories right next to published authors.

Something went wrong within the last few weeks and as to what, I'm not entirely sure. I'll let Tribe's own words explain it...

This past week though a submission was posted that led to the Gutter’s very first comment flame war. One commenter took it upon herself to call all the authors there amateurs. She later claimed she was using amateur to describe the fact that no one was paid for a submission, but it was pretty clear that wasn’t the way the term was used initially.

So there was tons of back and forth between commenter known and unknown. I wasn’t paying attention to them all.

Anyway, one thing led to another and out of the blue there’s a request to delete all of certain stories because (evidently) I hadn’t been diligent about deleting certain comments in that comment flame thread that were admittedly improper.

The thing is, the bulk of the stories that were the subject of the request to delete were not only some of my very favorite, they represented a big chunk of the published stories, and they had gone a long way to giving the Gutter the reputation it had.

I felt they almost went to the heart of what Flashing In the Gutter was.

So the request to delete is posed as personal punishment and a lesson to me because I had allowed certain comments to be posted.

Know what? I’m too fucking old to be scolded.

That and I never, ever allow anyone to hold anything over my head. What, I was to beg this person to please not make me delete stories because I wasn’t aware quickly enough that someone else had posted improper comments? Hell, I even suspect now that suspect comments were likely posted under an assumed ID. I didn’t pay that much attention, I didn’t think I had to.


Regardless, I don’t need this. Life is too goddamn short as it is.

I’m not going to name names. Suffice it to say that it stopped being fun.

So when I write “the best way to frustrate a hostage-taker is to shoot the hostage in the head,” I mean it.

There it is ladies and gentlemen. Another good thing and safehaven, gone. Beau-ti-ful...not to mention that what it really comes down to the one person who's trying to do something wonderful for people and improve the lives of many, winds up discouraged.

Hopefully, you won't wind up bitter over this Tribe, you did a great thing for us all, and that's what's really important.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, I'm confused. tribe didn't moderate some vile comments and was asked to remove them? why bother removing them? the internet is the last medium that embraces freedom of speech so why did tribe concede or did tribe not concede and I'm missing something?

Fri Dec 22, 06:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie,

I wish I knew. I don't know if he was threatened legally, or if it was a case of frustration in where all the conflict should be in the stories themselves and not running the site.

Whatever his motivations or the reasons, it's at his discretion and I respect whatever he wants to do with his own site.

Fri Dec 22, 07:26:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

This sounds very frustrating and sad WP. People. It's always people.

On another note, I hope you have a great holiday and that no books fall off the shelf!

Fri Dec 22, 07:44:00 PM PST  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, of course, I completely agree with you. It's just such a shame, you know? I hate to see anyone lose this battle in particular. It makes me equally blue.

Fri Dec 22, 09:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie,

I'm over it....waaaahhhhhh!

Johnny Dollars,

I'm not crying, a moth flew into my eye, yeah, that's it. BTW, I don't delete posts...but you asked.

Sat Dec 23, 10:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Johnny Dollars,

"I never really cry anyways - just so much dirt in the air."

Absolutely, it's a pollution-related condition.

Sun Dec 24, 09:34:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sad experience is that most people don't appreciate a thing if they get for free - and look down on the person who gave it to them. And I keep meeting people who have gone through the same thing and become disillusioned and bitter.

I don't know what's wrong with people. I really don't.

Shado

Sun Dec 24, 11:00:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

добро пожаловать, Shado.

I absolutely agree. Even though I often complain about Blogger myself, I do appreciate that they give a wonderful, free forum to communicate with the web and I'd never harangue them to the point that they'd feel threatened or uncomfortable.

Sun Dec 24, 11:28:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there will always be negative people -- so unhappy with themselves and their own lives, that the actually think their chaotic attacks are something they're entitled to, they delude themselves into think that destructiveness is somehow a contribution, ot that it makes them "more," or "bigger." *sigh*

Fri Jan 05, 01:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Pearce,

"there will always be negative people -- so unhappy with themselves and their own lives, that the actually think their chaotic attacks are something they're entitled to"

Exactly, they thrive on chaos...

"they delude themselves into think that destructiveness is somehow a contribution, ot that it makes them 'more,' or 'bigger."

There is a little bit of "Ghost" in everyone of these types, isn't there? I'm almost finished with "Raised" and I hope to write a review worthy of it on the blog.

Sat Jan 06, 09:31:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home