Thursday, April 05, 2007

Poppa Says It's A Bitch To Recognize It...

Last night, I found out what was both good and bad, about the Internet. Haahnster was talking about the greatness of Led Zeppelin IV and I clicked on a link to Sandy Dennis, because I knew so little about her, beyond the song, "The Battle of Evermore."

Big...mistake...

I had an ex, a little over two decades ago. She used to play Fairport Convention and Alan Stivell. It wasn't for me back then, I was more Motley Crue, Vandenberg, The Scorpions, and a wonderful detour into "The Cure: Live." But Sandy still sung the hell out of that song and I was curious how someone so talented, couldn't rise above cult status.

Whoa, there went two hours in the Twilight Zone. Because looking up Sandy, got me on a Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy tangent. Which got me looking up Killing Joke, which got me looking at who collaborated with Killing Joke. Which got me on Chris Tsangarides and Alcatrazz.

Then I went off on a Graham Bonnet tangent and the best part of this folks? I finally got details into the intrigue that went on behind a bunch of bands and why people got kicked out, fired, quit, etc...including Concrete Blonde.

The nugget of the night? Well, I'll put it to you this way, I knew a group called "Touch," or I should say I knew a song they did on "The Monsters of Rock: Live At Castle Donington!" It was the first Monsters of Rock concert, before it grew into something huge and most Americans would know only The Scorpions and maybe April Wine from that album.

But Touch? "Don't You Know What Love Is" went only as far as #66 on the Billboard Top 100 and it has been unavailable on CD until now. If your name is Chelene, Big Shoulders or if you like The Darkness at all. Click this link, go down to the bottom left of the page and click "Don't You Know What Love Is." You'll hear how "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" some twenty years before The Darkness was in existence.

11 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

For some reason it won't play. Ah well. Back to Zeppelin for me.

Thu Apr 05, 10:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becka,

It's in "Real Player" media format. I'd say it's worth downloading the Real Player if you have the hard drive space and if it won't cause software conflicts.

I don't want to guess because, on our last computer with Win 98 as the OS and Win Media Ver 2.0, we had conflicts galore. It should work with XP.

Thu Apr 05, 12:46:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Rocker by Thin Lizzy is on my alltime top 10 list...

Thu Apr 05, 02:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

double belts, leg warmers and feathered hair! love it, wp! rock on!!!

GREAT POST!

Thu Apr 05, 02:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger chelene said...

Oh my! That could absolutely be a song by The Darkness. All it needs is more amped up production and Justin's falsetto. I think there's also a tinge of Loverboy in there, no? :)

Thu Apr 05, 04:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Todd,

Absolutely and "Live and Dangerous" apparently, was named the all-time greatest live hard rock album by an English rock magazine.

I also found out that Iron Maiden did pay tribute to the band that was such an influence on them, when Bruce Dickenson jammed with Lynott. That was always a sticking point with me, because I falsely believed that Maiden ripped them off without giving them their due.

Katie-lah,

Good stuff, eh?

Chelene,

That's what was bugging me about "I Belive In A Thing Called Love," it sounded so damn familiar. Note, that I was more familiar with the live version of "Don't You Know What Love Is" and while the songs are close, the studio version is closiest in terms of arrangement.

That's pre-Loverboy, about two years before "Working For The Weekend."

Thu Apr 05, 06:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger haahnster said...

I'm just glad to have contributed to such a runaway internet click-fest. It beats hell out of being productive.

PS - I deliberately used "beats hell..." as opposed to my usual "beats the hell..." but now realize I don't like it at all. However, I've given up the backspace key for Lent...

Thu Apr 05, 10:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Haahnster,

It sure does...

"However, I've given up the backspace key for Lent..."

That's what the Catholic Church needs, more innovations like that. Plus, you didn't cheat and give up something that was nowhere within three states of you, like Jack In The Box tacos.

Fri Apr 06, 11:06:00 AM PDT  
Blogger haahnster said...

And lord knows I love me some Jack In The Box tacos!!! Yummy.

Man, I miss those things.

Fri Apr 06, 01:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger bigshoulders said...

I am now regretting that I cut my hair last week. Thanks for the song, it's a shame it didn't chart higher in its hey-day. It certainly is as good as most 80's power rock ballads.

cheers!
b.s.

Wed Apr 11, 04:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Big Shoulders

Welcome the blog and you're welcome about the song.

It didn't chart because the record company dropped the ball and radio really didn't want anything to do with it.

I remember hearing it fifteen times a week on a high school radio station and only hearing it once a month in the middle of the night on the big stations, when DJs could play whatever they wanted to without their bosses cracking down.

Wed Apr 11, 07:59:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home