Sunday, May 27, 2007

Monica Potter? Hell, I've Never Even Met Her!

As has been pointed before in this blog, the TV is often on, as background noise. So Head Over Heels was providing the ambient noise and I never bothered to watch it before, because serial killers (real or those mistaken for one) never make for good comedy. Let me correct myself. You can have good dark comedy in thriller or horror films, but you can't have a romantic comedy centering around a serial killer.

Oh, Eileen Wurnos. You and your wacky shenanigans. Lesbian, schmesbian. Get all that incriminating evidence cleaned up and let's run away together!

Anyway, I'm drifting off point like Paris Hilton straining to come up with legitimate excuses for a pardon. My original point is that someone cloned a certain movie actress.

The Missus glanced over and asked me what the movie was, I mentioned the premise, but I had to look up the title. Then she said, "isn't that Julia Roberts?"

I said no, that's Monica Potter. Then it hit me, someone slapped a blonde wig on Julia Roberts. No, really, someone slapped a wig on Julia Roberts. Monica not only looks like her, she has the Julia-head tilt when she emphasizes a point. The Julia speech pattern and quasi-monotone. Then, the clincher? The Julia quaver when she gets all excited.

She's channeling Julia, the way Christian Slater wished he channeled Jack Nicholson.

Then it struck me how I've never noticed this. I've seen her in "Con Air" and "Along Came A Spider," but I never noticed this...or really, her. Then I realized that casting directors haven't picked up on this either. Can't afford Julia? Go get Monica and have her put on a red wig.

BTW, when a movie that is "staged" in New York, really starts to go down the toilet? I like to see how much of it was actually filmed in Toronto. This so-called film had me faked out, the non-Manhattan scenes were actually done in Vancouver.

Of course, anybody who watches movies knows that Vancouver really "is" San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Hong Kong, and Los Angeles. My ambition is to film a movie in Seattle and call it Vancouver. Yes, I know it doesn't make a lick of financial sense and there isn't a studio in the world that would greenlight that. But I can dream, can't I?

4 Comments:

Blogger AngelConradie said...

sheesh- she really does look like julia!

Sun May 27, 10:03:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

Odd, ain't it?

Sun May 27, 08:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

I've got 50 bucks if you're looking for financing.

Isn't one Julia Roberts enough? Does Monica have the vein popping forehead thing when she fake laughs?

Mon May 28, 05:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

"Fifty," Canadian or U.S?

No, that's the one Julia trait that Monica has yet to master. Have you ever seen "Sim1one?" Monica is Julia, all 150 Terrabytes of her.

"Isn't one Julia Roberts enough?"

Nah, this one actually eats more than a leaf of lettuce a day and has a real body >; )

Mon May 28, 06:26:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home