Saturday, October 20, 2007

Is It Time For An Intervention?

So I took last Sunday night off, because I was going to hand out bumper stickers from my shop at Litcrawl, the ending of the Litquake Festival. There was just one big problem, um, it ended the night before. What caused or contributed to this major oversight on my part?
Sigh...videocrack.
Well, at least I've been getting my samurai on. Last month is was Kengo: Legend of The Nine.



This game is tricky and more like real life than other video games in that your character's life can end in one quick moves. What I really love about is that they didn't bother to dub the voices, the characters speak in Japanese with English subtitles. You should listen to me try to imitate my character's banter after I finish off another character.

These past two weekends I took another crack at a game I gave up before,
Samurai Warriors 2.


I decided to give it a second try after I wore out a demo disc of Dynasty Warriors Gundam. The controls are slightly less responsive than the Dynasty Warriors 5, though there is a free mode where you can build your characters up to ridiculously powerful levels. Therein lies the rub, it takes an inordinate amount of time to get this done and the only reason why I'm not at it now, is because my fingers feel like they are on the verge of turning arthritic.

That's one thing that Britney doesn't realize, you won't test positive for video games and you can still be a semi-functional person in society. Cue the ghost of John Belushi channeling Toshiro Mifune.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Will you still like me if I admit I don't do video games? I procrastinate in oh so many other wonderful ways.

Mon Oct 22, 02:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Each to their own. I get grief at work for some, just because I'm a homebody.

Mon Oct 22, 06:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

i never got into the game thing... i tried some of ratchett and clank on ps2... but i prefer playing on the internet...

Tue Oct 23, 12:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

I can't help it. I was practically raised on the things, all the way back to "Pong" in '75.

Tue Oct 23, 04:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger quin browne said...

my son is a game tester for wii.

i keep saying, "that's not a job!"


apparently, it is.

Thu Oct 25, 12:58:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a solution for missing lit crawl-- read a great article on it at TheBayAreaIntellect.com

Thu Oct 25, 02:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

I've only ever been a minor video game nerd with the Mario and Zelda games. If I could work for Wii, I would but that's not a job is it? What?!

Fri Oct 26, 07:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Quin,

"my son is a game tester for wii. i keep saying, 'that's not a job!' apparently, it is."

Your son is one lucky...er, no...sorry, I mean, ahem. That is, he is one lucky guy.

I'd love a job like that, but game testing doesn't support three people in S.F.

Allan,

Welcome and thanks, for the article, I'll check it out.

Dale,

They wouldn't pay enough to support your theater habit.

Sat Oct 27, 10:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

That's one thing that Britney doesn't realize, you won't test positive for video games and you can still be a semi-functional person in society. Cue the ghost of John Belushi channeling Toshiro Mifune.

That is too funny.

Sun Oct 28, 11:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Ain't it, though?

Mon Oct 29, 08:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger deadspot said...

I thought the first Samurai Warriors was a huge improvement to the Dynasty Warriors formula. The branching missions gave you something to do other than mash out the same combos over and over, and the arrow deflection and running roll took a lot of the frustration out of getting bombarded by archers.

...I mean, I have no idea what you're going on about, WP.

Mon Oct 29, 11:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Spot,

The Dynasty Warriors 2 for the PSP has the branching missions, too. They have combined Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors into Warriors Orochi, though I don't know if it is exclusive to the XBox 360.

There will be a Dynasty Warriors 6 that has twice as good graphics as its predecessors, though it is still no "Heavenly Sword."

Mon Oct 29, 09:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home