Saturday, December 08, 2007

Junior's Observational Skills

So last night while the family was waiting on dinner at Mel's, Procrastinator Junior looks over at the tabletop jukebox and sees a listing for "Etta James: The Definitive Collection."

Junior: Who is Etta James?
Me: She's a singer.
Junior: She doesn't seem to want to sing about happy things.
Me: Yeah, well, I think she's a blues singer.
Junior: If you look at the song titles, it's like the title of her songs are trying to tell a story.

I glance over and lo and behold, Rod Stewart, every title tells a story, don't it? Let me try and piece this together for you without adding any words and omitting "Dance With Me Henry." Click the thing to see the titles for yourself-

The wallflower good rockin' daddy. W-o-m-a-n, all I could do was cry, if I can't have you. My dearest darling, at last, don't cry baby. A Sunday kind of love, trust in me. Something's got a hold on me, stop the wedding!

Pushover, tell mama I'd rather go blind! Security! All the way down, take it to the limit, damn your eyes! Whatever gets you through the night, the man I love. I've been loving you too long, the sky is crying.

12 Comments:

Blogger Patchwork said...

Junior is a liddle genius! Give him to me, the most interesting thing The Pickle has ever said tome was, "Ma, daddy's ugly." I was so chuffed that we agreed on this point I forgot to point out to her that you can't say people are ugly! I'm a dodgy mom.

Sat Dec 08, 03:21:00 AM PST  
Blogger quin browne said...

apples don't fall too far from the tree.

jus' sayin' is all.

Sat Dec 08, 09:56:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bridget,

First thanks for the link and I linked you back.

"Junior is a liddle genius!"

Gets it from the Missus's side and we don't talk down to him, as adults often do to kids.

"The Pickle has ever said to me was, "Ma, daddy's ugly." I was so chuffed that we agreed on this point I forgot to point out to her that you can't say people are ugly! I'm a dodgy mom."

Heh-heh-heh...

...and you're not a dodgy mom, though I wonder what her father's opinion of you is ; )

Quin,

Like I said, he gets it from the Missus, though I didn't turn dumb with hormones until seventh grade and I've been mediocre ever since.

Sat Dec 08, 06:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

Excellent observation on Jr's part. I love Etta's version of Take It To The Limit, it's the live one right?

Dale Ripert

Sun Dec 09, 05:18:00 AM PST  
Blogger Al Sensu said...

I saw Etta this year on a bill with BB King and Al Green. She tore up the place!

Sun Dec 09, 06:11:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

It isn't the live version or at least the brief clip sounded like it was recorded in a studio. She does a good enough job, but I am always partial to the classic Eagles versions of all their hits. Mind you, I play the Gypsy King's cover of "Hotel California," more though.

Al,

That must have been quite a concert, performing on the same stage as those two would push anyone higher.

Sun Dec 09, 01:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Etta. Is. The. Queen.

Mon Dec 10, 11:18:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becky,

But who is the Queen of Pop Culture?

Mon Dec 10, 04:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I'm with bridge, kid's a genius. very smart. I'm not surprised. he's the fruit of your loins. he's a writer in the making, child.

Mon Dec 10, 08:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Let me give you an example. Anne just went out to get stamps and Junior asked "where's mom?" I told him and he went "oh," then went back in his room. He wanted help with his homework and if it has to do with math, science or English, he doesn't even bother to ask me.

Now, if he wants to know the definition of a word or history tidbit? Then...he might, I repeat, "might," ask me.

Mon Dec 10, 09:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

that junior's one smart cookie!!!

Wed Dec 19, 10:46:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

He's just like Damien, always a step ahead of the parent ; )

Wed Dec 19, 05:17:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home