Thursday, December 06, 2007

Spotchy's Story Meme

Listen to me do Silvio doing his bad "Godfather III" Pacino impression, "just when I thought I was out, they pullll me back in."

So Chris has caught something and he is passing it along to all of us-

If you are one of the carriers of this story virus (i.e. you have been tagged and choose to contribute to it), you will have one responsibility, in addition to contributing your own piece of the story: you will have to tag at least one person that continues your story thread. So, say you tag five people. If four people decide to not participate, it's okay, as long as the fifth one does. And if all five participate, well that's five interesting threads the story spins off into.

So, here goes:

I woke up hungry. I pulled my bedroom curtain to the side and looked out on a hazy morning. I dragged myself into the kitchen, in search of something to eat. I reached for a jar of applesauce sitting next to the sink, and found it very cold to the touch. I opened the jar and realized it was frozen. (Splotchy)

My first idea was to put the applesauce in the microwave. Hey, I was still tired. Could I scoop some out and put whipped cream on it? No, too solid. Why was it so damn cold in here? I walked over to the thermostat and saw that the heat hadn't clicked on all night and the temperature had dropped substantially overnight. Now, tired and hungry, I opened the access panel on the heater. There's the problem: why was someone cooking a duck in here? (SamuraiFrog)

I bent down and scooped up the uncooked duck carcass. There was no way I was going to let it go to waste, especially considering I had applesauce on hand. I placed it in a roasting pot and went back to reset the heater. As I continued to wake up, I realized that my roommate had spent the night at his girlfriend's place and couldn't have put the duck there. "How the hell did it get there?" I wondered. Just then, an already odd situation became even stranger. The lifeless duck animated, flapped its featherless wings, and began to speak. (Some Guy)

"Zal-pinga, zal-pinga, zow-zow-zow! I am the ghost of unrequited meals and you will be haunted by three more meals, tonight!"

I folded my arms, my face and body language conveyed equal parts doubt and skepticism.

"What?" asked the duck.

"Shouldn't you be an ex-business partner or friend of mine that has passed away?"

"What?"

"Marley, you know, you should be like Marley."

"What are you going on about? I am not a reggae duck."

"No, if this is anything like the story, you shouldn't be a duck, you should be someone just like Jacob Marley...I don't know, maybe, uh, Dwight Holstein."

"He's too busy haunting Louise Barret, because she stood him up on prom night. At any rate, tonight, you will be visited by three meals."

"But why do meals walk the earth and why do they come to me?"

"Will you shut up already? I am freezing walking around here, with nary a stitch of clothing or plumage-"

"And why should you be cold, you are dead already?"

"And why do you think we ghosts are moaning all the time? It's bad enough being dead, but...you are getting my sidetracked! Tonight, you will be visited by three meals!" (Write Procrastinator)

Now I am passing it along to you. I tag:

Katie (B.Online.F.F.)
Becky (because you're tagged for life)
Chelene (because she says she should write)
Quin (because she knows how to write)
Johnny Dollars (money time, JDC).

A Post Scriptum- Here is Quin's and I love Flannery's take.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger is that so wrong? said...

Wow.... this is actually one of my favorite fun-for-a-dull-class writing exercise (known in some circles as the "exquisite corpse".... not sure why), and I was trying to put myself in the shoes of picking up where you left off. Perhaps with a pardoy, next of Great Expectations? The Pickwick Papers?

Thu Dec 06, 08:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

ITSW,

I enjoy this exercise a whole lot more than NaNoWriMo, which I never manage to get past a couple of hundred words.

"Perhaps with a pardoy, next of Great Expectations? The Pickwick Papers?"

Please don't think ill of me, but I am a Dickens dilettante. I cribbed a "Christmas Carol" off of Google for a reference and I apologize. If you wish to continue this, certainly, consider yourself tagged.

Fri Dec 07, 02:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger quin browne said...

done and done.. oh man who flatters me.

Fri Dec 07, 10:03:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Quin,

That's good stuff and now thanks to you, the ghost of Dickens will haunt me no more.

Fri Dec 07, 11:37:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Delicious!

Sat Dec 08, 07:27:00 AM PST  
Blogger quin browne said...

yeah, but, dickens would sue us if he lived.

thanks for such a great lead in!

Sat Dec 08, 09:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Flannery,

As is yours!...story, ahem, I meant story!

Quin,

You added so much layer and depth than I ever could, prose-wise.

Sat Dec 08, 06:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Know what I love about this meme? You say right in it that I don't have to do it and I won't screw the whole thing up. So guess what I'm gonna do? That's right! I'm exercising my right to ignore the tag!!

Mon Dec 10, 11:20:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becky,

What part of "tagged for life" is it, that you don't get? >: P

Up to when we are in "adult living communities" and even when I inevitably pass, I will still appoint someone to tag you ; )

Mon Dec 10, 04:50:00 PM PST  
Blogger EditorJDC said...

I have to bow out of this one WP. Do another just like it in two weeks and I am yours. I am two weeks behind on getting AAM2 out (there are awesome reasons why, but I have to wait on that). Sorry, just too much work at this moment.

Psst, Tim is being elevated to EIC while I go to publisher - for more reasons to be announced.

JDC

Mon Dec 10, 06:05:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Johnny Dollars,

Understood, I wasn't sure if you were done with the formatting of the print version of Issue #2. We are looking forward to the next thrilling episode of Astonishing Adventures!

Mon Dec 10, 09:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger EditorJDC said...

I'll announce here since I'm blowing off your meme.

Publisher - JDC
EIC - Tim "Yeti" Gallagher

Astonishing adventures Magazine (pulp)
Enchanting Tales From Hell Magazine (Horror)

Astonishing Adventures Books(Book Imprint)

JDC

Tue Dec 11, 07:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Johnny Dollars,

"I have to bow out of this one WP. Do another just like it in two weeks and I am yours. I am two weeks behind on getting AAM2 out (there are awesome reasons why, but I have to wait on that). Sorry, just too much work at this moment.

Psst, Tim is being elevated to EIC while I go to publisher - for more reasons to be announced.

JDC"

Excuse me, doesn't this belong on the front page, instead of the comment section???

Tue Dec 11, 08:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger EditorJDC said...

It will be. Can't I drop some exclusives on a friend?

JDC

Tue Dec 11, 09:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Johnny Dollars,

Thank you very much, I am honored, sir!

Wed Dec 12, 08:33:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home