Thursday, April 17, 2008

Don't Stop, Rebus Time!

When I stayed in Italy some two decades ago, I had difficulty learning the language, because everyone would rather practice their English with me than speak Italian, regardless of their proficiency. Some of my Italian roommates suggested that I could learn their language by doing rebus puzzles.

Well, it was just that simple, wasn't it?

Um, no.

I couldn't do rebus puzzles in English, what hope would I have possibly have had in Italian? I stood a better chance of learning Basque via osmosis, by sleeping on a book of Basque phrases.

Some twenty-three years and two months later? All of sudden I can create rebus. I still can't decipher one, but I could put a couple of them together. Let's let Wikipedia explain just what a rebus is and don't forget to click the myRebus.com link at the bottom. It's a little program that you type in anything and it will turn it into a rebus (no, I did not use it for this post).

So in this post, I am going to rebus a blog or the name of a blogger. Let's go with the easy ones first as a warm up.



Uh, yeah, it's Michael John's future wife, The Pop Eye. No, Becky doesn't look anything like this character, though she will eat her spinach on occasion.



Hotter than any java served by McDonald's, A Cup of Coffey.

Okay, now you're going to have to work for the rest of them and you'll have to highlight under the bottom of the rebus to find out (correction, the answers are posted)...



plus

plus




Equals what? Coaster Punchman. Coaster + Punch + Man (because that's man at the end of this evolutionary chain).

This one is a little harder if you don't recognize his name from the comments.



minus

"Les"
plus "s"
Equals what? Bubs. "Bubbles" minus "Les" plus "s" equals "Bubs."
Now why don't you give it a try?

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger chelene said...

My head hurts now.

Thu Apr 17, 06:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Chelene,

That's not because of the puzzles, that's because of work-related post-traumatic stress. I recommend that you take the next four months off and make sure to tell your boss that I ordered it.

Thu Apr 17, 08:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Patchwork said...

Me 'eah 'urts as well.

And I can't figure out how all that amounted to Bubs. Makes me worry about my brain power. Might have lost some essential cells along the way.

On the up side, A lovely new blog to read! YAY!

Fri Apr 18, 03:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

BeckEye and Beth, but beyond that ya go me. Neat idea for a blog post

Fri Apr 18, 04:18:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Joe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Fri Apr 18, 05:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Joe said...

No one told me there would be mental work involved. I'm off to drink more coffee

Oh, wait. "Bubbles" minus "Les" equals "Bubs"

I hardly recognized my own rebus

Fri Apr 18, 05:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bridget,

See Bubs's comment above as to how that came to be his name. He's got a good blog and I know that you'll get a kick out of it.

Gifted,

Your response, Milady.

Bubs,

Exactly!

Fri Apr 18, 07:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Asian punch monkey! Uhhh....Coaster boxing baboon! Uhhh...baby fish mouth! Baby fish mouth!

Oh, and I'll only eat spinach in wedding soup or on pizza. But I have been known to do half mumble/half sing to myself like Popeye.

scudddamirinkydooscubbarubadinko...

Fri Apr 18, 10:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becky,

Ach-cah-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga!

Fri Apr 18, 11:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger quin browne said...

i want you to know...

my teeth hurt. the hell with charlene's head, my teeth hurt.


i'm going to go sit in a corner now and wimper... and do the only thing in italian i know--the rude gestures... directed your way.

Fri Apr 18, 06:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Quin,

What? It's like meditating, relax your mind and the rest will follow.

Fri Apr 18, 07:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger quin browne said...

relax my mind??



AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Fri Apr 18, 08:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Quin,

It's all zen, it will come to you.

Fri Apr 18, 09:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Ha! It's not the first time in my life I've been a puzzle! ;)

Sat May 03, 01:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Coaster,

You are a cryptic individual. A person who smiles in person, then glares at cameras ; )

Sun May 04, 03:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home