Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthday Love

The Missus made me a special birthday dinner. We started the meal with salad of crab and avocado-



Fresh dungeness crab, avocado, sour cream, tomatoes and spices.



This is a Culinary Institute of America recipe and she followed it almost to the letter. The only thing she didn't include were the jalapeƱo peppers. The dish could've used them, but it is a flawed dish in design, because all of the tomatoes and peppers are on the bottom. Everything would be better off placed in alternating layers. Giving it a chance for smoother blending of the flavors (if you mix it too much, it tends to make things mushy).



Mind you, I'm not criticizing her cooking, but the recipe itself. The crab and avocado were wonderfully fresh and flavorful. It's hard though when someone puts that kind of effort into a first-time dish and the creators of said dish, let that cook down.

Then came the ginger-marinated pork.



Outf*ckin' standing! If you're going to try this recipe at home, I'd cut the soy sauce down and split the 1/4 cup of it in half with water, as it was a tad salty.



Quin's "The Adventures of Margaret and Neville" are sight to read, I mean, see. Comedies involving manners are harder than you think to write, there has to be a certain level of nuance or you go right over the top and it loses direction to become something altogether wrong. Quin knows that and for her, the little tightrope of nuance may as well be an eight-lane freeway, as crosses that chasm with ease like a writing Wallenda.

Quin relented to my badgering for my birthday and wrote a chapter where Margaret's life took an unexpected turn, check it out.

Tanya sent me a wonderful E-Card, that was worth the download wait for dial-up.
So, a big thanks to everyone who made my birthday special!
P.S. The highlight of the morning was a phone call with the every-busy Katie, as we bagged on Coco and caught up with the dishing.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

That meal looks delicious. Thank you for documenting it in all its glory. I love getting worked up over food, and I'm glad to see that pork was part of your celebration.

Tue Apr 15, 05:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bubs,

Thanks on behalf of the Missus and it was good. Pork should always part of any festivity, barring dietary restrictions.

Tue Apr 15, 08:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

The ginger pork looks delicious.
What's the drink in picture #2?
Chocolate milk?

Your (direct article deleted) Missus is obviously a talented cook.

Tue Apr 15, 11:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

PS thanks for the link!

Tue Apr 15, 12:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Gifted,

"The ginger pork looks delicious."

It was.

"What's the drink in picture #2?
Chocolate milk?"

Um, no. Junior doesn't eat his veggies or his fruit, so we make a fruit shake with fresh and frozen fruit, plus a fruit juice (usual orange). Not to mention I have to ration my chocolate intake or acne will come back.

"Your (direct article deleted) Missus is obviously a talented cook."

Yes she is...when she wants to cook and I am even worse, cooking like twice a year since Junior was born. And see? I told you that you would like her, everybody does.

"PS thanks for the link!"

Dammit, who told? You weren't supposed to know until tonight!

Tue Apr 15, 03:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

What a gorgeous spread Mrs. Procrastinator threw, truly divine. It looks like you had a wonderful birthday. So sweet.

I loved dishing witchya's. You're busy, too. We're all busy (hahahaha). Shmoozing Coco was perfect, wasn't it?!

Got another one for you... Check out (I know it's shameful) from Rock of Love. I know. I know. I know. Don't even say it. I'm ashamed to admit it. I posted a video of her on my bloggy. Check it out when you have the strength.

Tue Apr 15, 03:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

"What a gorgeous spread Mrs. Procrastinator threw, truly divine. It looks like you had a wonderful birthday. So sweet."

Thank you, that I did.

"I loved dishing witchya's. You're busy, too. We're all busy (hahahaha)."

You, more so. I'd love to be as busy as you.

"Shmoozing Coco was perfect, wasn't it?!"

Yeah, she nees her own reality show and does her (you know).

"Got another one for you... Check out (I know it's shameful) from Rock of Love. I know. I know. I know. Don't even say it. I'm ashamed to admit it. I posted a video of her on my bloggy. Check it out when you have the strength."

I'd be over their right now if I had high speed, but I'll be over tonight. I don't get why Brett passes up the better women, other than his intention was to have a "Rock Of Love 3" all the time.

Tue Apr 15, 04:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

happy happy (belated) birthday wishes! i'm glad you were spoilt, thats what birthday's are for!

Tue Apr 15, 11:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

Thanks and that's what birthdays are supposed to be for, but that's not always how it turns out. I was quite lucky this year.

Wed Apr 16, 07:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Wow, that meal looks delicious. Congrats to Mz. Procrastinator on an outstanding job and for you on another year to life!

Thu Apr 17, 12:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Patchwork said...

The meal looks fabulous.

I am now in love with the Missus. which makes loving you that much easier. It's evidently not your doing that you are so "wholesome" someone else is taking car of bidniss.

Perhaps I can convince a certain person who "loikes" to cook to try this and duplicate the meal for me. We will try and address the flaws you so kindly pointed out.

Thu Apr 17, 04:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bridget,

I never claimed to be wholesome during my entire life (or ever), I just try to set a good example for my son and I want to stick around long enough to be an example to my great-grand children.

I'll try to post the Avocado/Crab salad for S4 and it's the least he could do, dodging spider-removal duty.

Thu Apr 17, 08:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Patchwork said...

Errr... excuse, I say you "wholesome" you are.

Fanks muchly for recipe.

And that S4 has dropped on macho radar some more.

Thu Apr 17, 08:35:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bridget,

Here's your recipe.

Now as to...

"Errr... excuse, I say you "wholesome" you are."

Oh, I've got your "wholesome."

> ; P

Thu Apr 17, 10:20:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home