Sunday, April 06, 2008

Adventures In Soda

So I was down at Irving Cafe and I'm using Yelp! to let you know where the restaurant is at, because they have a reliable link. Though some of those reviewers need to cut down on their uncontrolled substance intake and I leave that one at that.

Anyway, I'm down for the bánh mì-action, because I'm sandwichy like that, and what should I see? A soda in a plastic can.



Yet, as you can see from picture number two, the top is aluminium.




It has a bottom like a plastic bottle...



...and as you drink it, the can seems to turn greener with each sip.



Though as you can see, it's just the gradual diminishing of the green tint of the plastic label. Yes, it seems like from the picture below, that I'm watching NASCAR. That's only on for background noise and when they race stock cars on oval tracks, I only pay attention to; the crashes, the final ten laps and/or if a Yankee wins.


The brand is Elisha Soda and they don't have a site in English. I did find a Japanese online food store that sells more than the two flavors that the Irving Cafe carries (apple and lychee). The "e-l" on the can reads like a "b," which kind of sounds like a drunk without front teeth trying to tell somebody off.
"Bisha, pluhh-leaze! (hic!)"

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am such a jackass for any cool packaging and I'll buy it. This would be up there.


JDC

Sun Apr 06, 04:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

Is this another photoshop prank?

Sun Apr 06, 07:32:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Editor JDC,

That is what hooked me. The soda? Not so hot. It tasted like a bad diet soda from back in the day and it could've used a little more sugar, or a little more apple.

And don't get me wrong, I prefer European-flavored sodas with less sugar and more flavor, to American ones.

Gifted,

No, it's real all right. Click the link to the Japanese food store, if you don't believe me.

Sun Apr 06, 08:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here is the current obsession I have.

http://www.animecornerstore.com/ramunesoda.html

The bottle is so COOL!

JDC

Sun Apr 06, 08:04:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

John,

If you click Kyoto Kitchen site, they have Ramune soda right below the Elisha soda. Of course, now I want to find out about the marble "cap."

Sun Apr 06, 08:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

The bottle is sealed with a glass marble. You invert the cam and press it in to break the seal. Weird, but cool.

I must have been a Japanese schoolgirl in another life because I love Pocky sticks too.

Eww, I just thought of my hairy ass in one of those school uniforms and got a bit queasy.

JDC

Sun Apr 06, 08:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Editor JDC,

And it keeps carbonation too? Fascinating stuff, I'm tempted to go to Japantown or the Asian grocer on Clement Street first thing after dropping Junior off at school, just to check this out.

I can't stand Pocky. I was introduced to it in of all places, a Thai restaurant back in '98. I can't see what all the fuss is for that.

"Eww, I just thought of my hairy ass in one of those school uniforms and got a bit queasy."

I'll just call you "Hirsute Moon" for the next two days.

Sun Apr 06, 08:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

Cool can! I'd buy it if there was Coke inside. I'm a whore for good packaging myself.

Mon Apr 07, 09:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

I don't know if you remember How To Wrap Five Eggs or its sequel, "How To Wrap Five More Eggs?"

The Japanese have always been hardcore about their packaging, even before retail stores were invented and it has truly been an art, even before Japan was a country.

Mon Apr 07, 05:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

wow, so is it "greener" than aluminium? doesn't a tin stay colder...?
then again, i am such a sucker for a gimick i'd prolly buy it anyway!

Tue Apr 08, 11:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

It is not "greener," because it would have to broken down into two components, thus using more energy. Nor does it stay cooler, it really is just a gimmick.

Wed Apr 09, 10:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

was it pricyeer? tastier? spill.

Sat Apr 12, 05:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Yes, it costs a bit more and like I said here in the comment section-

The soda? Not so hot. It tasted like a bad diet soda from back in the day and it could've used a little more sugar, or a little more apple. And don't get me wrong, I prefer European-flavored sodas with less sugar and more flavor, to American ones.

Sat Apr 12, 10:47:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home