Tuesday, April 11, 2006

It's Alive

So around the last weekend of March, I spent the better part of that Friday night and Saturday morning culling old scripts and stories from "Old Faithful Ver. 2.0" http://www.brother.com/usa/geobook/info/nb60/nb60_ove.html I can barely stand to reexamine most of my early work, but I'm a verbal pack rat in the sense that I've kept everything that has worked. A sentence, a paragraph, a situation or plot point that stood out or that merely worked sufficiently enough that it could be retooled at a later date.

Then I had to convert those files into Wordpad and then download them on to a floppy disk. Stop laughing. Seriously, 20th Century technology works, especially when all you the free income you had at the time you bought said equipment, was at an early 20th Century rate.

I do have all of my screenplays on the archaic Imation SuperDisk and I've bought two of these portable SuperDisks off of eBay so that I can import them directly http://www.imation.com/support/products/superdisk.html I had to buy two because I couldn't find a suitable plug for the first.

I've already mentioned that the Missus gave me the new laptop and I've been too chicken to see if the Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000 will work on it. The last incarnation of Windows compatible to this screenwriting program is Windows ME.

My mistrust of downloading drivers and patches is not a fear of technology or unfounded, I have yet to experience anything less than a cyber-kick in the crotch. The modem line has always disconnected at some point and either the company involved has tried to charge me twice for the same driver/software, or the driver/software wouldn't work correctly, even after being downloaded twice.

Still, this morning, it all worked flawlessly. So far this latest version XP on the laptop has been almost crash-proof and all the drivers are all there! Built-in! No need to be at the mercy of the Internet, indifferent tech support and drivers that only drive the user crazy.

The screenwriting career can now resume on a lesser level and this time I will paper the walls with rejection notices ala Hemingway.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home