Saturday, April 08, 2006

Word Evil-fication

Excuse me if I've touched upon this before

http://writeprocrastinator.blogspot.com/2005/12/word-verification-or-blog-engines.html

I understand that the "word verification" feature of blogger is a necessary evil or everyone's comment section would be plagued by those that want to show everyone else how they got rich at home in three easy steps. As well as cures for nail fungus, impotency, problem flatulance, and bad driving...or any combination thereof. And...I do appreciate the fact that the words are less Cyrillic-like than before, unlike last year when an "i" could be an "l" or "t." Or any combination thereof stuck together.

Word verification can sometimes be a source of amusement. I've stated this on other people's blogs that half of the words resemble to my American eyes, a Croatian or Hungarian obscenity. I'd repeat what I've seen, but I imagine it will manage to piss of somebody who was born east of Germany.


At other times, the words resemble the imagined barkings of Lassie trying to warn us of some impending danger. "Bshllyed!" "Wtchfrpcbs!" "Slyntgrnzpple!"*

Yet the red means stop phenomenon is still in effect. If the letters are red, the percentage of the word verification denying the post is still over fifty percent. It keeps saying, "type the charactes you see in the picture above." But it might as well say "enter the letters as we astrally project them!" I have to "ctrl+a" and "ctrl+c" and disconnect, then reconnect and "ctrl+v" just to post a response.

Which is not convenient when you're trying to post a response and you have to leave for work in three minutes or less.

*"Slyntgrnzpple" means "Soylent Green is people.." Clean your minds up readers, clean your minds.


Or maybe I'm wrong and you can keep them dirty. Maybe word verification is one big Rorschach test.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

how true! I hadn't given much thought to it, but you're quite correct. It is so very foreign language slang, isn't it?

Mon Apr 10, 11:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home