Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Anglo-Saxon Verbage

I was never really into Blue Oyster Cult, but some songs are so perfect in conveying a sentiment.

You see me now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars
I've been living on the edge so long
Where the winds of limbo roar
And I'm young enough to look at
And far too old to see
All the scars are on the inside
I'm not sure if there's anything left of me




"Veteran of The Psychic Wars"- Blue Oyster Cult

Writing-wise, I used to thrive on the indignant sphincters that populate my workplace. I would take their negative energy, undue comments, and malice, and turn it into something creative. Now they just burn me out.

Eh...

On a lighter note, from the S.F Chronicle's "Ask Mick LaSalle page," a letter to our newspaper's movie critic...

Dear Mick LaSalle:

The etymology of the f-word (the subject of the movie "F -- ") is no mystery. It's an Anglo-Saxon verb meaning to stick your finger in the soil and drop in a seed. It's similar in German. So you can say it anytime you wish, in an agricultural sense.



Russ Kane, Santa Cruz

Dear Russ Kane:

Thanks. It's a warm, cozy thing to imagine centuries long past and all those Germans with their fingers in the soil. I never suspected agriculture could be so rewarding.


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger haahnster said...

The lyrics you quote are pretty good...far better, say, than "Seasons don't fear the Reaper..."

Tell the sphincters that I said to leave you the hell alone. Odds are it won't change anything, but sometimes it just feels good to scold a sphincter.

(That sounded very dirty. I will stop now.)

Tue Dec 05, 08:31:00 AM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Haahnster,

No, quoting "Don't Fear The Reaper" would get me fired under the anti-violence policy.

Like Bartles & James, I appreciate your support. Unfortunately, sphincters are just that oblivious and are good for...well, you know.

Jay Dee Cee,

I'm lost up in here, up in here.

Is this a "Warcraft" reference? I'm too old school, "D & D" fer chrissakes. Hit me up with a link so I can get some perspective, yo.

Tue Dec 05, 08:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger Cup said...

Indignant Sphincters; didn't they open up for the Sex Pistols on the first U.S. tour? I think I may have some of their stuff on vinyl.

Wed Dec 06, 10:49:00 AM PST  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Now "Burning For You" was a good tune. No cowbell in that, though.

Wed Dec 06, 01:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Good point, you'd think that a punk rock band would've named their group that already. Not to mention, that Malcolm McLaren would've been behind that.

Becka,

Absolutely, though now you've got that damn song stuck in my head and I can't sing out of there like Cartman did "Sailing."

Wed Dec 06, 05:33:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home