Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"It's A Wonderful Life, Forrest Gump...

...And Nothing Escapes The Ever Watchful PopEye."

"
Legs" stumped me good, this time. She responded to the post below this one...

"And Sam Wainwright is wiring you some money to promote your next book."

So now you folks get to hear one of my trademark quips that I use in real life (as opposed to blogdom), ¿En inglés, por favor?

I had to Google this and "why," you ask? Because I've never seen more than fifteen minutes of "It's A Wonderful Life." If you make a George or Clarence reference, I kinda get it. That comes from stuff I've gleaned from the clips over the years, but I've never seen this film in it's entirety.

There are people from all over the world...non-Christians who have seen this thing, as for me? I figured I've already seen "A Christmas Carol" and a hundred cartoon rip-offs of the Capra classic. So why bother? I haven't seen the Christmas movie where one kid wants the BB gun and the other gets his tongue stuck to a metal pole, either.

Why? Saturation. Run an ad, trailer, clips, or just have everyone around me talk incessantly about something, and I lose interest.


Witness "Forrest Gump," I haven't seen more than thirty minutes of it. All the "shrimp" references and "stupid is, as stupid does." When the movie finally came on HBO, I lost complete interest.

"Jerry McGuire." People saying "show me the money" everywhere I went and "Talk Soup" running the bit where Cruise says "I love Black people" about a thousand times too many. I didn't know that "you complete me" came from that film, I thought it was from "Austin Powers II."

I never bothered with the last forty minutes of "Titanic," I read the entire plot in AOL screenwriter board discussions and Procrastinator Junior was getting into baby mischief, so I never finished the tapes that a friend lent me. I've never had the urge to see the last forty minutes ever since.

I could go on, but you get the picture...and I still don't know who Sam Wainwright is.

10 Comments:

Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

"It's a Wonderful Life" is a great movie. Lots of great lines you can pull out at opportune moments: "My mouth's bleedin' Bert, my mouth's bleeding! Zuzu's petals! Zuzu's petals!" I once heard of an altie rock group called "Zuzu's Petals" - so it must be good, right?

Every other film you mention is crap. But watch IAWL. Make sure you cry at the end too, or I'll come over there and kick your ass.

CP

Wed May 30, 11:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

And I think Sam Wainwright was the rich successful guy who could have come back and done it with Donna Reed if Jimmy hadn't grown a pair.

Wed May 30, 11:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Hee-haw!

Yeah, Sam was Mary's wannabe ex-flame.

I'm with CP here, WP. I will come over and kick your ass if you don't watch this movie (and cry) ASAP. I've got legs and I know how to use 'em. I don't care if it's nearly June. Rent this movie immediately!

As for the "saturation" argument, I see your point, but I believe that a few years ago, the networks stopped playing the movie 5 times a day because everyone was complaining about it. So it's not on nearly as much anymore. So, stop complaining.

My favorite line from IAWL is when George comes over to see Mary, and her mother is hoping that it's Sam and when Mary yells up the stairs that it's George, her mother snaps, "George Bailey? What's HE want?" Then Mary has one of the greatest comeback lines I've ever heard - "He's making violent love to me, Mother!" I would think that was pretty risque back then!

Wed May 30, 02:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

In order...

Coaster,

The group Zuzu Petals is cute. That name also seems to all too common in of several floral shops around the country.

BTW, to kick my ass, you'd have to make it past the Missus.

Coaster,

Wow, this somehow reminds me of "Mr. Destiny," another movie I couldn't get ten minutes through...kidding. I guess, I'm not sure.

Wasn't Linda Hamilton that grew a pair? I don't know, I didn't see it.

Becka,

Movies don't make me cry any more, though some make me tear up. I tell youse two what, come December, I'll rent it and watch it Procrastinator Junior, so that we can get the full Christmas experience.

Wed May 30, 05:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

ok, I'm not going to be a judgmental c-note. I get it. I'm kind of the same way about certain films. please tell me that you've seen the original goodbye girl and same time next year.

shocking as this may seem, I loved jerry maquire. I know. I know. judge away, my friend ;)

Wed May 30, 05:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Um, I've seen parts of "The Goodbye Girl," Dreyfuss was too much of an asshole for me to really get into it and I've seen parts of "Same Time," though I would like to see in on stage.

What I saw of "Jerry" during the February sweeps wasn't too bad. I will say that I can't understand why Cuba got the Oscar for that, his performance is my least favorite aspect of the film, as I found it a little too cartoonish.

Wed May 30, 06:58:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine my life without seeing "A Christmas Story". I sit here dumbfounded, with my jaw on the floor that you haven't seen this... that you can't join in on the same conversations about it year after year after year. After year.

Wed May 30, 08:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Amy,

That's it, "A Christmas Story" and I had even more incentive to watch it this year, with the passing of Darrin McGavin.

I've seen enough of just about everything to join in on conversations. I am a little ADD when it comes to domestic movies that aren't crime or indie-related.

A big part of my distaste is when I'm changing channels, I'm always coming in on the scene where the younger brother gets his tongue stuck and my first instinct is that "this is so damn sadistic, what else is on?"

I'm sure there's more to this film other than it takes place on Christmas, or they wouldn't run it fifty times a December. I just can't get past that bad association.

Thu May 31, 06:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

i dunno who he is either... did you not google him?

Sun Jun 03, 11:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

I did Google him, though there isn't a sinlgle, relevant link that I could post here because no one believes he merits a page or singular link.

Sun Jun 03, 07:58:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home