Sunday, March 30, 2008

Crazy Eights Meme

Ante Scriptum- Quin was nice enough to submit hers and thus, one less person for me to tag and one more entertaining meme for you (win-win).

Miss Suzy tagged My Favorite Cup of Coffee, then she tagged me.

It's all about that number that is good luck in Asia, the Number Eight-


8 Things I’m Passionate About-

1) The Missus and The Kid.
2) Football. Too damn much and I can't watch some games because of my blood pressure (thank you Yorks, for ruining the Niner franchise into the ground and aging me five years).
3) Writing.
4) Eating and if you don't know that by now, you haven't been reading this blog.
5) Reading your blog. Check your Sitemeter, Statcounter or Bravecounter if you don't believe me.
6) Procrastination and if you don't know that by now, you haven't been reading this blog.
7) Video crack. Part of the reason that I've put off this meme for so long, is because I'm trying to unlock "The Osaka Campaign" in "Samurai Warriors 2: Empires."
8) Reading books.

8 Things I Want to Do Before I Die

I don't remember what I wrote, the last time I was asked this question and I'm not going to look it up. So for all intents and purposes, this is new...though it probably won't be because I repeat myself-self-self.

1) I want to go to Japan, big time.
2) Get that book published!
3) Get that script produced!
4) Retire! If I do it in San Francisco with the current job, I'll be six feet under before I collect that pension. So numbers two and three do have an direct effect on this one.
5) Get a house, see numbers two and three, unless I move.
6) Go to Russia (in June though, you know I hate the cold).
7) Spend a couple of days in the Midwest. I've never been except in transit, a stopover in Kansas City and I couldn't tell you if it was Kansas or Missouri.
8) Last but certainly not least, see the Missus become a famous painter. She's a lot further along as a painter than I am as a writer, though she really hasn't done a lot since Junior was born.


8 Things I Often Say

1) Good gravy!
2) Moron!
3) Bayyyy-be!
4) Dude.
5) Copacetic.
6) Absolutely!
7) Expletive. Yes, "expletive." Because I can say it everywhere and anywhere and you damn well know I mean "f*ck."
8) Pick a lane, any lane (then followed with a string of expletives).


8 Books I’ve Read Recently

"The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps"





"The Best American Short Stories 2007 edited by Stephen King" (still haven't finished it!)



"The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril" by Paul Malmont. Thanks to John Carlucci for that recommendation.


"Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing"



"Queenpin" by Megan Abbott


"Wall Street Noir"


"The Chill" by Ross MacDonald



"Bronx Noir"


8 Songs I Could Listen to Over and Over

1) Any Led Zeppelin song other than "Hot Dog."
2) A Coltrane song that I have listened to over fifty times within a four day period and that's according to the iPod's counter.

3) "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck
4) "Long White Cadillac" by Dwight Yoakum
5) "Everbody's Got Their Something" by Nikka Costa
6) "Creation" by El Michaels Affair
7) "Under The Night Stars" by The Sea Hags
8) "Aphrodite's Jacket" by The Cult


8 Things That Attract Me to My Best Friends

1) Tolerance. You'd be surprised what people say about one of the five races that I am, obviously not knowing my genetic composition. Needless to say, I don't associate with them.
2) Intelligence.
3) Humor. Why does this meme sound more like the "turn on/turn off" section of Playmate Centerfold?
4) Compassion. The real stuff, not some politico's catchphrase.
5) Similar tastes in culture.
6) Similar experiences in life.
7) I don't know.
8) Je ne sais quoi.

8 Things That Drive Me Crazy

Beth added this one because it drove her crazy that there were only seven categories in Crazy 8s.

1) Bad drivers.
2) Cell phone shouters.
3) Work.
4) Traffic.
5) Intolerance.
6) People that are too lazy to even Wiki something. This is a beautiful age we are living in and so much knowledge is at our fingertips.
7) The "search inside" logo on top of the books that Borders/Amazon puts on the book cover jpegs. I just want to post the pic here and maybe you'd guys would get some business.
8) You asleep at the traffic light. Trust me when I say that it will not get any greener.


8 People I Think Should Go All Crazy 8s on Us

Oh sure, everybody is already picked by now. I tell you what, if you haven't been picked and you want to be linked, just mention it the comment section.

Here is Quin's.

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

""The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril" by Paul Malmont. Thanks to John Carlucci for that recommendation."

He has a sequel coming out soon and I can't wait.
Try "Arcanum" by Thomas Wheeler. Same type of book, but slightly earlier time period. I have to pick up some of the reads you listed.

I just bought 35 Edgar Rice Burroughs novels (Ace Science Fiction Classics - I think 1963)in great condition for $60.

I texted Katie over it I was so excited - WHOOOO!

JDC

Sun Mar 30, 08:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

Based on that meme, I like you WP, except for one thing

"The" wife.

Ugh.

Sun Mar 30, 09:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

This was a great meemish. I feel like I know even more abouchya, WP.

I didn't know you said good gracy!, that is hilarious. It's a very vintage expression, donchya know?!

This makes me CRAZY, toooooo. "8) You asleep at the traffic light. Trust me when I say that it will not get any greener."

Sun Mar 30, 09:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

John,

I'll check out "Arcanum" a little down the road. I'm on the verge of finishing "The Big Book of Pulps" and I have another anthology in a similar vein to read after that. So I'll need a pulp vacation for a book or so, then I'll come around.

When I was in my Conan and Elric phase in high school, I got into John Carter of Mars a little bit. I love Burroughs writing, but I didn't love the use of swords and pistols at the same time (I was an oddball "Swords & Sorcery" purist).

Gifted,

You'll love the "wife," everybody does. She's my heart, brain, compassion, and courage. Without her, I'm a bitter and angry illiterate man.

Katie-lah,

You've seen my drop "good gravy" a couple of times at your blog. You even sent me an email saying that's a funny expression.

"This makes me CRAZY, toooooo. '8) You asleep at the traffic light. Trust me when I say that it will not get any greener."

Exactly, what are they waiting on, a deeper off-jade?

Sun Mar 30, 11:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

I freaking love "Hot Dog." When I was a kid, I used to sit at my coffee table and pretend I was jamming out to the piano during that song. Not sure why...'cause we had a REAL piano.

Sun Mar 30, 01:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

"I love Burroughs writing, but I didn't love the use of swords and pistols at the same time (I was an oddball "Swords & Sorcery" purist)."

Bah, I say!

I dress for work with my sword (that isn't a euphemism Katie - that girl is incorrigible) pistol.
Khaki pants - check.
white converse sneakers - check.
white button down with heavy starch - check.
Bandolier with cutlass and revolver - Checkamondo!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." Nada - They Live


JDC

Sun Mar 30, 05:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Becky,

Sigh...

John,

The emphasis is on was. To me it was a chickenshit-type a thing, ala' Indiana Jones or Kurosawa's "Ran." Note my short stories on Cormac Writes, guns aren't the issue in fiction that they once were to me.

In junior high, I grew up around guys who carried Buck knives and stilletos. No one carried a gun in those days nor did they when I went to high school. It was a different era.

Sun Mar 30, 08:31:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Was this Alamo high? Buck knives?
They must not talk to Sean Connery much.

Okay, that maaaaay be a little obscure.

JDC

Sun Mar 30, 08:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Alamo High?"

You got me on that one, John. I did get "The Untouchables" reference, though.

Yeah, you know how you go places and you see someone with the little leather holster on their belt (trucker baseball cap is almost mandatory with it)? That's usually a foldable Buck knife.

The 110 was the one with a six-inch blade, but most had the four-inch.

Sun Mar 30, 09:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ruby said...

ok, so i moseyed on over since bridge insisted upon it. And it seems like i caught you on a good day...i managed to learn a whole lot about you:) I'll be checking you up every now and again....that is if i'm not procrastinating

Mon Mar 31, 05:12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Patchwork said...

Ruby you blistering stalker.

Second time I'm catching you on my turf today.

Right. Jealousy fit over.

I have TWO windows open in order to do this comment justice. I'll pick the things that got me collapsing on desk once again and those that I just liked. OK, I'll pick what I liked. k?

Writeprocrastinator is passionate about writing - *snort!*

Yes please Japan is fabulous!

Let me know when you want to sell to a UK publisher about that book please!

"Get a house" - *mwaahaa* Stop[ living in a cardboard box!

"Groovy Gravy?" "Bayyy-be"? From the mouths of babes!

"
"The Best American Short Stories 2007 edited by Stephen King" (still haven't finished it!)" When I gave that book to my Pa he asked me, "Why didn't you get me one about the Scottish".I have had an aversion to it since.


"4) "Long White Cadillac" by Dwight Yoakum" MWAHHAAHAA

Similar life experiences are important in order for your friends to appreciate the journey you have been on.

Are you intolerant of intolerance? *giggle*

cue Austin Powers voice: "Aaaaand I'm spent!"

Mon Mar 31, 07:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger quin browne said...

fmdn.blogspot.com/2008/02/olds-88.html

Mon Mar 31, 09:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Ruby,

Welcome and come back any time...when you get around to it.

Bridget,

"Ruby you blistering stalker. Second time I'm catching you on my turf today."

Wha? You can't encourage people to come over here and then, discourage them ; )

"Yes please Japan is fabulous!"

Is it right up there with Peru?

"Let me know when you want to sell to a UK publisher about that book please!"

Oooh, I'd appreciate that.

"Get a house" - *mwaahaa* Stop[ living in a cardboard box!"

Houses in San Francisco are prohibitive, except for millionaires and those who live in NYC, London, and Tokyo.

"When I gave that book to my Pa he asked me, 'Why didn't you get me one about the Scottish.' I have had an aversion to it since."

I'd suggest 2003's, my favorite in the series by far and the most accesible.

"Long White Cadillac' by Dwight Yoakum" MWAHHAAHAA"

Uh, check the lyrics.

"Similar life experiences are important in order for your friends to appreciate the journey you have been on."

Absolutely.

"Are you intolerant of intolerance? *giggle*"

Absoltuely!

Quin,

Thank you ever so much!

Mon Mar 31, 01:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Joe said...

I love this meme, and I especially love your book list!

Mon Mar 31, 03:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Bubs,

Set aside some serious time for "The Big Book of Pulps," I'm over 940 pages into it. You should find the criminal portrayals interesting and certainly the pre-Miranda Rights methods jaw-dropping.

There aren't a lot of those delicious pulp covers that all over the web and on your blog, though the new charcoal drawings for the stories and the original pencil drawings are fantastic.

Mon Mar 31, 04:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger James said...

8 Comments on Your List

1) When you said videocrack, at first I thought you meant Youtube...

2) The midwest has its charms. I've been thinking about taking a vacation in Missouri, of all places. Kansas City and St. Louis are both great cities.

3) Russia too...I've been dreaming of Mother Russia myself lately.

4) I think you should just say the F-word...but then again, I love the F-word.

5) Elmore Leonard has a rules of writing book? I'll have to check that out.

6) Take Five is awesome! Charlie Parker cut a nice version of it, too.

7) Je ne say what?

8) If you had a hood-mounted machine gun for the bad drivers, would you use it? What about a zap gun that harmlessly lifted them to another plane (or lane, as the case may be)?

Mon Mar 31, 10:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Patchwork said...

no no no ... Japan not up there with Peru! *shuddering at even the mention*

Mon Mar 31, 11:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

sheesh you read a lot!!!
your list of things that annoy you is VERY similar to mine!

Tue Apr 01, 01:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

James,

"1) When you said videocrack, at first I thought you meant Youtube..."

Naw, I'm still in dial-up hell.

"2) The midwest has its charms. I've been thinking about taking a vacation in Missouri, of all places. Kansas City and St. Louis are both great cities."

If not for the barbecue...

"3) Russia too...I've been dreaming of Mother Russia myself lately."

Did you see Bourdain go on his old show, "A Cook's Tour?"

"5) Elmore Leonard has a rules of writing book? I'll have to check that out."

It's really an old New York Magazine article pumped up, but it's worth reading and owning.

"6) Take Five is awesome! Charlie Parker cut a nice version of it, too."

I'll have to check Bird's version.

"7) Je ne say what?"

French for "I don't know what." When people want to pretend that they are smart, they drop that phrase. I was just doing it to riff, though.

I would go with the zapper that moves people, because of karma.

Bridget,

But I love Japan!

Angel,

I do read a lot and I don't. I go on reading benders and I think that list seems to be universal.

Tue Apr 01, 04:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger quin browne said...

anytime... and the link doesn't work.



sheesh, do i have to do everything?

Wed Apr 02, 04:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Shelley Jaffe said...

I just found you through Catherinette's blog - how fortuitous for me that you should have this meme going on, so I get an abridged version of all things you.

"The Big Book of Pulps" & "Queenpin"
look very intriguing - I'll have to check those out.

Wed Apr 02, 05:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Quin,

One thousand apologies! The link at the bottom of the post worked though, I just doubled up on the "http://" on the link at the top of the page.

Baroness,

Wilkommen und welcome to this dusty corner of the web.

"The Big Book" has some great stories for the first pulp reader, but "Queenpin" is an even better book to start out with (technically, it's not pulp in the sense that the events in the book happen after the pulp magazine era). Not to mention good steam, it would make Madonna tug at her collar like Rodney Dangerfield.

Wed Apr 02, 08:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

Loved this post!

Am too lazy to specifically comment, though...don't hate me.

And your better half...do we get to see any of her paintings?

I love how creative your family is - how wonderful!

Now come over here and finish my book for me!

I can't stop using exclamation marks!

It's true, I talk like this too!

Help!

:) !

Sun Apr 06, 07:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Tanya,

"Am too lazy to specifically comment, though...don't hate me."

I remember when Procrastinator Junior was Alexander's age, I would not have had the time you did to even respond to a post.

The Missus hemmed and hawed about putting the paintings up. Maybe I can get her to do it on her blog.

Finish your book??? If I could only focus for that long.

Sun Apr 06, 03:34:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home