Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ten Things About The Letter "Z."

Amy posted ten things about the letter "M" and I misread "do YOU want to write about a letter? Let me know in the comments," as "do you want Me to write about a letter" (as in Amy).

So me being Mister Smartass, why not the letter "Z?" To wit, Amy replied "go huff paint somewhere else, Beavis."

No, actually she said "No no no WP… You are requesting a letter for yourself! Marni already gave me mine. So YOU do Z! Ha ha!

Sigh, that's me Michael Stipe, painting myself in a corner. That's me, looking for flight.

Here we go, ten things about the letter "Z" and you better believe I had to go get the dictionary after the first two submissions:

1) Zebras. They are shorter than horses, but almost as fast. I used to love the zebra print as a child and it confuses lions when zebras are on the move, making it harder for the lions to catch them. Apparently, not hard enough as lions eventually figure it out.

Not to mention Pearls Before Swine has excellent zebra jokes and situations.

2) "Zed," as the way the denizens of the United Kingdom pronounce the letter "Z." I like making Brits, Aussies and the like, say "Zed" and "schedule." Minutes of fun, that.

3) Zenith. When I started to read Robert E. Howard and I found that it simply wasn't a television brand, I unnecessarily worked this into conversations as often as possible. "Wow, Mitchell Page sure hit that ball far, where do you suppose it reached its zenith. I'm not going to get into the sexually-related material that I tried to wedge that word into, on this blog. I was a teenager, what do you expect?

4) Zeppelin...as in "Led." Still my most favorite band and the one of the most misspelled bands ever. Two "e's," teenagers of the world and adults who should know better. Two "e's."

5) Zebu, a "Simpson's" reference, Maggie.

6) Zen. We'd all like to that perfect state, we just don't know it yet.

7) Zester. Rachael Ray goes to far with hers and there should be a moratorium in general, on which dishes you can put citrus zest in.

8) Zero Gravity. It's zen for thrill-seekers and also was the name of the best skateboard brand of its era.

9) Zero. "Put a one in front of a zero and you've got yourself a ten, see how..." I can't remember how the rest of that Schoolhouse Rock song goes.

10) Zeit. It means "time" in German, right? I don't know, it's the one thing I've ran out of and I don't have enough of it to look thi-

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche.

Great job! I would have needed the dictionary, too. I'm glad Marni gave my unimaginative ass "M".

Wed May 30, 08:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

Sigh, that's me Michael Stipe, painting myself in a corner. That's me, looking for flight.

Maybe I'm biased ... but that's the loveliest sentence you've written all month.

Oh, and that Z stuff was cool.

Wed May 30, 09:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Procrastinator Jr. may know this one. If so, have him sing along!

"ZZ Blues," Over The Top
(Sung to the tune of just about any mid-tempo ZZ Top song)

Well, I've seen a lot of letters and it seems to me
There's something real special 'bout the letter "Z"
But boy we're sick of singing 'bout zippers and zoos
There ain't enough "Z" words
Got the ZZ Blues

You can stick with "zebra" 'cause it's tried and true
Maybe mention "zither" just for something new
But once you've shown them "zebra," "zither," "zippers" and "zoos"
You're almost out of "Z" words
Got the ZZ Blues

Oh, time to write a song about Zanzibar
C'mon and sing along about Zanzibar
Guess I could be wrong about Zanzibar
Going zany with the ZZ Blues

We're zooming back to zipper 'cause it's still the best
Zipping back to zebra and we need a rest
Gettin' tired of thinking
Yeah we've paid our dues
There ain't enough Z words
Got the ZZ Blues

Spoken: Only band I ever worked with to fall asleep and keep playing the blues! Guess I might as well join 'em and cop some Zs myself!


Zoinks, I love Sesame Street.

Wed May 30, 10:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Amy,

The need for a dictionary shows that we take the letter "Z" for granted. I thought you did nicely with "M!"

Beth,

I am blushing...and you know that's not easy.

Becka,

That "ZZ Blues" song read lyrically like something that Leon Redbone would do, I'll have to check that out.

"Sesame Street" was the best until they "Elmoed" it up and Procrastinator Junior turned too old for the show, just in time.

I still love the segments that Wegman did with the Weimereiners (sp?).

Thu May 31, 06:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

Canadians pronounce it zed too, just saying. Zat is all.

Fri Jun 01, 08:25:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

In Italia, la lettera "z" è "zeta," come Catherine Zeta Jones.

Fri Jun 01, 10:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

aaah- i see you cleverly neglected to offer to allocate letters to your readers! you won't mind if i don't pick one...

Sun Jun 03, 01:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

See, the letter "Z" wouldn't be so hard in your neck of the woods, as I am sure that Dutch and the African languages are rife with them.

What if I gave you the letter "Q?"

Sun Jun 03, 08:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

okay, so i'm slow... do you want me to do "Q"...? i can give it a shot!

Wed Jun 06, 01:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

Absolutely, go for it.

Wed Jun 06, 05:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

done and dusted! and i think "Z" was more difficult thatn "Q"...

Sat Jun 09, 05:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Angel,

I'll pop over to see!

Sat Jun 09, 05:43:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home