Thursday, July 12, 2007

Crossed Signals

It rarely happens with my current cell phone carrier, but it happened six or seven times a week with my old one.

My phone rings...

Me: Hello?
(pregnant pause)
Unknown Caller: Whooo is this?!
Me: Yeah, uh, hello?
Unknown Caller: I said, "who is this?!"
Me: Um, you called me.
Unknown Caller: I said, "who is this?!"
Me: One more time, you called me-
CLICK!

The "six or seven times a week" was a skewed number, as these idiots would immediately call back and hang up when they realized whoever they were looking for wasn't at this number.

I don't blame it entirely on them, the old cell carrier was a handful. One time my accountant called me up and asked me why I had called her...I didn't. I'm guessing that it had something to do with the carrier's end, as my phone had the keyguard on and thus, I couldn't have accidentally called her.

I had called people on the old carrier and gotten wrong numbers before, but never twice in a row. It was a flat rate plan, so their profit was marginal and I guess in that aspect, you really get what you pay for.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

It could have been Fate calling, and you missed it.

Thu Jul 12, 08:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Fate: Um, hello, *****? It's me, Fate. Your name is offically "Chuck," now.

Thu Jul 12, 08:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Cup said...

Thank God someone else sees the brilliance in Chuck.

Fri Jul 13, 03:26:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beth dahling, Fate does not 'call'

Clotho spins
Lachesis measures
and
Atropos cuts

"...One time my accountant called me up..."

You can afford an accountant?

Fri Jul 13, 08:17:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

I tell you what, every other time I come over to your blog, call me "Chuck," 'kay?

Sterculian,

"You can afford an accountant?"

She is not my accountant exclusively and I can't afford the consequences. So, yes, I have an accountant.

Fri Jul 13, 09:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

it's happened to me, peas, a few times. what I hate is when they get nasty, like it's your fault they misdialed. or that cingular crossed wires somehow. dumb asses.

Sat Jul 14, 08:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

"what I hate is when they get nasty, like it's your fault they misdialed."

Absolutely...

"like it's your fault they misdialed. or that cingular crossed wires somehow. dumb asses."

In this case, it wasn't Cingular which contrary to their ads, drops more calls than my carrier. It was a company whose first name rhymes with "Jethro" and the second name sounds like a bunch of computers.

Sat Jul 14, 02:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home