Monday, May 07, 2007

Restaurant Meme

Katie tagged me yet again and here are the rules: "list your top 5 favorite places to eat and tag 5 other people who live in different cities, states or countries."

1) Well, Katie asked me about
Izzy's, so now she gets to find out. A former speakeasy and in my opinion, the best steakhouse in San Francisco. The website says that "one of Izzy’s great fans was William Soroyan, the celebrated California-Armenian writer of the 1930s and 1940s. His famous play, 'The Times of Their Lives,' was said to have been set at Izzy’s saloon."

Well, if you're going to set a play up with Yuppies and
Marina Chicks, this is the place. Ah, so what? I'll put up with Anne Coult-shmear, as long as I get a 21-day aged steak and he stays at his, excuse me, I meant, her own table. Or get the New York au poive, as long as you chose "Izzy's Own," the best restaurant scalloped potatoes and the creamed spinach.

They make a nice burger. Procrastinator Junior thinks so too, though he doesn't like the crab cakes as they are nearly all crab. When you're eleven, breading has a greater importance. They make a decent Caesar, though it isn't what it once was. Great oysters and desserts, what more do you need?

2) If you talk about steakhouses, taste tends to be subjective. One man's perfect steak, is another one's shoe leather. One guy swore to me up and down to me about how great a particular place was. I tried it and let me be perfectly honest, I have had better quality meat in a Japantown Denny's chicken-fried steak. But prime rib? Ask anyone who knows prime rib and they'll tell you
the House of Prime Rib.

As I mentioned before in my fifty foods to try before you expire, they make fantastic Yorkshire pudding.

Now comes the hard part and I've spent the better part of the day mulling over the next two slots.

3) Minh Tri is my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Honestly, there may be better ones out there, but I'm all too content with this eatery. As was mentioned in this post, these are my favorites...

"A) Bi Cuon-Vietnamese spring rolls with shredded pork, mint leaves, lettuce and rice noodles. The outer skin is like a soft tortilla and is made out of rice paper. The outer skin is not deep-fried.B) Tasty Beef-The one and only reason why I go exclusively to this restaurant for a Vietnamese dinner. Eggplant, beef, garlic, onions, and (scrambled) eggs sauteed.C) Ginger Chicken-Succulent chicken and a few green beans sauteed with a jullianed ginger sauce.D) Broccoli Beef-Beef and broccoli sauteed in a fermented bean sauce, though it tastes more like oyster sauce to me."

4) Cue Molly Shannon and..."Burma Superstar!" As I've said before, Burmese cuisine is a wonderful blends of Indian, Thai, and Chinese cuisines. Good stuff, Maynard.

5) If I follow Katie's example of listing dessert last and mind you, I'm not a dessert person. Follow Fred Astaire singing "Cheek to Cheek," but insert Tart to Tart instead. Heaven, I'm in Heaven, chocolate ganache cake. Need I say more? Ah, I didn't think so.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

wp, I knew this would be a culinary dish worth every succulent word and boy was it ever! you dish food like nobody's bizola.

running to izzy's for scalloped potatoes. yummers squared.

Tue May 08, 03:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Oh good, you didn't re-tag. I got tagged with this one twice today.

Tue May 08, 09:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Katie-lah,

Thanks!

When you visit our fair city, I'll take you to somewhere more veggie-oriented than Izzy's. It's too much torture not to go to a steakhouse and not have steak.

Becka,

I've been neglecting blogging, so I didn't know whether to tag you or not. You know that you're tagged for life and I will tag you again!

Wed May 09, 09:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

'Tis the season for tags it seems, a blessing and a curse perhaps. It is nice to know that you're eating WP. And you get extra points for name checking Molly Shannon.

Sat May 12, 07:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

Thanks.

Sat May 12, 09:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

Write Procrastinator,

You're welcome. Did you catch her on SNL last night?

Sun May 13, 06:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Dale,

Quoth the Katie, "fuck, fuck, fuckity-fuck!"

I stopped watching the show when Will Ferrell left! The only time I watch is when I'm flipping the channels and a skit catches my attention. Please email me when NBC repeats it, as opposed to the "lite" episodes that E! Network runs.

Sun May 13, 12:11:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home